Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois 17 Jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Picked up this watch on Ebay real cheap, it didn't run & hand one of those hand eating yellowed plastic crystals, so I need to come up with a pair of hands.

From the serial number it apparently shows how there are errors in the serial number lists, this is the 1st watch I have had that is the first number in the start of a run. The number is 3535200 & according to Megger's that was to be the last number in a run of hunter watches & the next run starting with 201 was to be open face but this one is actually open face.

I like the two tone checkerboard pattern.

Tom

m01

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Close up of serial number

m02

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Dial is not the best but it did clean up better than I got it.

Dial

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Tom I hope you see this . I kust picked up on the cheap a watch like this in of all places an antique shop . I need the screw on the regulator to speed up or slow the movement down . The head is gone on it. Ill post a few pics and a movement number. Thanks , Mike

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Another shot

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Dial . Forgot to add I have tryed several times by phone and email to get thru to Leon Harris . Any ideas . Or can anyone remove a couple of small wave type dents in a caseback . Case is gold filled , the one on this watch . Crystal replaced too . Thanks , Mike

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Mike

Twins?

I will do some checking & see if I have another micro regulator screw, you might also check with Brian.

All the screws including the micro regulator screw are gold & the micro regulator is too.

Your serial number is listed as 18s 17J Model 6 Lever set open face Grade 89 made in 1919

Tom

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Man that was FAST . I went to get a soda and Youve already answered . I havent even cleaned it and think it will sparkle after that . And I just love the checkerboard pattern .The dial is cool but is it correct for the movement . Thanks , Mike

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Mike

I think the dial is correct, I have several other Illinois made during that same time period & I believe that dial is correct.

Maybe Steve Middlesworth will see this, he seems to know the Illinois dials & hands well.

Tom

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I have a ca 1908, 18s, A Lincoln with the identical dial....I don't have any idea if it is correct or not....

Trying to find out anything about an Illinois is like pulling pigs teeth other than a date of manufacture....

Sure will be nice when Lindell has that data regarding Illinois available....

Regards,
Jerry

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Very sharp looking movements guys!
Tom, Roger has that mdl 1888 running like a champ. I should have it sometime next week.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Mike,

I am only speculating here but it seems that the style of the hands don't quite seem to match the boldness of the dial. You normally see very bold hands matched up with a dial like yours. Also the dial seems to be from an earliar style Bunn or Bunn Special model so I am guessing this dial was added to the movement. That is just one persons opinion though. It still is a very presentable watch.

Below is the same dial on a 1913 23 jewel Bunn Special. It has a little bit bolder hands.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Here is another 23 jewel Bunn Special from 1907 with the "Extra Heavy Spade", part # 5330. You don't see these hands very often.

Steve

Picture of Mike Rouse
posted
Thanks Steve . Im with you I thought the dial might have been replaced. But I like it fine and am going to replace the hands to the heavier spade just for easier viewing . Its just easier for me to glance at the heavier hands and for me to see them . Thanks.