Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What can you tell me about this 23j Bunn "Click" to Login or Register 
<Gregory Shawn Gordon>
posted
Hello,

I mostly just lurk here and pick up a lot of great knowledge from you folks but I have a newbie question.

I am thinking about buying this watch and I wanted to get some opinions as to what model it is, it's value and if it is correct or not. I know very little about Bunn Specials so maybe some of the resident experts can verify if this is the real McCoy or if there is something rotten in Denmark.

The movement:

I do see that the regulator spring is missing. It is not marked 60 Hour. Is that normal or has the train bridge been replaced?

The dial:

The case:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Greg!

Those are some great images, bright and clear.

To begin with, the movement you shared with us, number 3291719 is from 1918 production. It is classified as having the "Fourth Pattern Rayed" style of damaskeening. That red-filled engraving and the outline around the balance bridge are both right for this movement. The "Adjusted Temp. And Six Positions" markings help earmark this particular variant of which something more than 11,000 were produced.

You asked about authenticity, everything looks right to my eye. Of course the only way to be 100% certain would be to disassemble the movement and check each of the numbered component parts.

In 1924 the first 60-Hour Bunn Special movements were introduced which was also about the time of the first factory marked Bunn Special cases. You now see why your much earlier watch does not have the "60-Hour" markings. But in good running condition it should go more than 40 hours on a wind. At the time this one was produced they were still cased at point of sale by the retail jeweler in the buyers choice of available cases. As an aside, as late as 1929 there were still movements available to be cased by the retail jeweler.

About the missing whip-spring and two screws, pehaps one of our members could help. The dial, which is correct can be cleaned and that chip filled in to where it would be barely noticeable.

Looks like a nice watch, hope this information is of help to you.

Lindell

Wink

<Gregory Shawn Gordon>
posted
Lindell,

Thanks for the info. I will be checking on the auction sites to get an idea if it is a bargain or not. I had rather have a 60 hour watch and may hold out for a good deal.

Greg