• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Requesting Bunn Special Information "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
First time poster desiring info and opinion on my grandfather's pocket watch. He worked for the Nickelplate RR in southcentral Illinois beginning in the 20s. I know next to nothing about watches other than what I've read on your site. I can upload photos of the watch a little later, but for now the markings on the watch are: Serial # - 4406158, Bunn Special, 21 jewel, Adjusted Temp and Six Positions, Double Roller. The word Illinois on the face is arched. The case is silver in color. On the back of the watch there is an etched locomotive. Inside the back is the word Defiance and the # 6605892. Also scratched or etched inside the back case are a series of numbers. One set appears to be initials and a date. ALS and 5-1-50, and what appears to be an "M8" underneath that. My guess is that the watch was repaired in May of 1950 and that the initials were of whomever repaired it. The "M8" was not as clear and it may be something entirely different. Also in the back was etched 3 #'s underneath one another. They were 1033A, 1578A, and 3886A. (In front of the 1033A was what appeared to be 2 letters, RB; but that was not as clear to me.) Lastly in another quadrant of the back was the # 9861515. (Again the last 2 numbers in this final series of numbers was rather unclear.)

Sorry to ramble so much. Just hoping to have someone provide some details about this watch. I'm fairly sure that it was produced in the later part of 1924. It doesn't say 60 hour. Wondering how often it should be wound. And of course, any info or opinions about the watch that anyone may be able to provide.

Thanks,
Eric

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Eric,

WELCOME TO IHC185 WE ARE PLEASED TO HAVE YOU WITH US!

Consider Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185 to become a full member.

Your grandfather's Illinois Watch 4406158 turns out to be a Bunn Special 21-Jewel, Lever-Set, Open-Face, 21-Jewel, Model 9 from 1923 production. The Model 9 would run for about 40 hours on a full wind. Therefore if it is would at about the same time each day it should never run down. The Sixty-Hour Bunn Specials were introduced in 1924 as were the famous factory installed Bunn Special Cases. For that reason on this one you find the after-market "Defiance" case which was a rugged, long-lasting choice. Your grandfather was a sensible man who chose a very durable case from those available from the selling retail jeweler.

Those hand-inscribed markings inside the case-back are "service marks" from each time the watch would have been cleaned, oiled and adjusted. Sometimes they can be figured out, it sounds like the same service professional took case of the watch for a period of time. The railroad would have required service at regular intervals commonly anywhere between twelve and twenty-four months. Your grandfather would have carried an inspection card as proof of compliance. If any of those exist in his effects that would be a treasure to locate as it would be documented authentication of the watch in Railroad Time Service.

Congratulations, you have a great family heirloom and a wonderful part of railroad history.

Lindell

Wink

posted
Lindell.

Thank you for your response. No inspection card unfortunately. My Dad has had the watch under a dome for over 25 years. I'm sure they told me about it years ago, but I had forgotten about it. Never had it open before, so I'm very pleased you were able to explain the markings. I didn't measure the dial, but I'm assuming this is a size 16? Do you know what type of metal the case might be?

You mentioned my grandfather probably purchased the watch from a retailer. I didn't know if the watch was purchased from the Nickelplate RR itself, was given by them to their employees or just purchased at a retailer.

Thank you again for your response and the information.

Eric

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Eric,

Not to try and push a membership on you or anything but this is a great website. You will learn so much from the experts here who will make you a much more informed buyer. If you buy watches to collect, you could very easily save the cost of your dues in your first purchase (or non purchase in many cases). I have not regretted it all. It has made me a much wiser shopper.

Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Steve,

Eric, what you will find very different about IHC185 is our polite and friendly attitude. Unlike some other watch and clock groups we maintain proper decorum which means you and everyone else who participates here will always be treated with dignity and respect. There are no "dumb" questions and at IHC185 there are no inappropriate or insulting responses.

Back to your grandfather's watch, yes it is a 16-size Bunn Special which is a point I overlooked mentioning. The cases marked "Defiance" in that time period are usually chrome plated over hardened brass, they will sometimes have "Base-Metal" markings inside the case-back, but most often just "Defiance" which was recognized throughout the jewelry trade.

About watch purchases, in the early days some railroads supplied movements for employees, but unfortunately so many of them disappeared which signaled an end to that plan. And so the requirements that employees acquire a watch capable of reliable timekeeping and that it be regularly checked for accuracy and periodically serviced became mandatory.

The reason I mentioned this particular watch most likely being cased and timed by the retail jeweler is that it pre-dates the factory-installed Bunn Special cases by nearly a year. Your grandfather's choice of a low-priced, long-wearing, practical case tells us something about him.

We support IHC185 with dues and the sale of books, you are invited to join us. But regardless of whether or not you choose to join we are pleased to have you with us and will always help in any way we can. You might also want to have one of our members clean and service grandfather's watch, check our IHC185 Members Business Directory for service and other references.

Lindell

Wink