Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois-18s-Grade 101 or 101s-Private Label "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Recent addition to my collection. Serial number 1165671--James Maghell, New York

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Tony

Nice watch, does the dial also have his name on it?

Strangest thing, I can not find anyone in New York state by that last name, I have never seen that before. Now it is getting the best of me!

Tom

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Tom,
The dial on this watch is just marked Illinois and probably not original to this watch.
Tony

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Tony, I still can't find anything on that last name, I think that is a 1st for me.

Tom

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Could it possibly be James Machell?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Boy Mary Ann you are smart, I kept looking at that trying to come up with another name but couldn't.

James Machell born June 1841 in England is listed in the 1900 census living in Manhattan NYNY as a jeweler. He arrived in this country in 1859 & was married in 1880.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from ILLUSTRATED NEW YORK: THE METROPOLIS OF TO-DAY 1888

article

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Glad you found Mr. Machell, Tom! The letter didn't look quite right for a "G", so I thought it could be a stylized "C". I hope you didn't get all worked up because you couldn't find Mr. Maghell. Smile

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Thanks Mary for your help. Thanks Tom for the information regarding the watch. You guys are great Smile
Tony

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well I wouldn't say all worked up but maybe annoyed is a better word. I knew he had to be there somewhere.

Tom