Internet Horology Club 185
Electric Railroad Standard questions

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8881029912/m/1311076403

March 01, 2008, 16:37
Steve Mott
Electric Railroad Standard questions
Is the Illinois Electric Railroad Standard considered a Private Label, or what?

There is a Elec RR Standard dial on my Model 9 Grade 706 sn 4456293. The movement is not marked for Elec RR Std so I suspect the dial is a transplant. Were the movements so marked?

The movement is accurately described in the Illinois Encyclopedia p140 lower right. However I have not been able to find any info about the Elec RR Std in what Lindell accurately describes as a confusing book.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Mott
member #795

Steve Mott
March 01, 2008, 20:09
Tony Dukes
Steve,
Your watch could be correct--dial and movement. I have three electric railroad standard watches in my collection. I have been told by Illinois watch experts that only the getty models are marked on the dial and the movement.
Tony Smile
March 01, 2008, 20:23
Steve Mott
Tony,
Thanks for the encouraging words.

Steve Mott
March 01, 2008, 21:49
Steve Mott
New question: since this 19j, ca. 1923 watch is adjusted to only 3 positions and the requirement from 1920 onwards was to be adjusted for 5 positions--should I not consider this example as RRG?

Steve Mott
March 02, 2008, 01:04
Steve Mott
Tony,
Thanks for your help and you are correct. I have just found the watch listed in Ehrhardt & Meggers book "Railroad Watches" p82. The Elec RR Std dial does belong on a Grade 706 movement.

Since it is listed in this book on RR watches I shall consider it as such although it did not satisfy RR time service requirements when it was built.

Now I need to research where it was marketed. Any ideas anyone?

Steve Mott
March 02, 2008, 13:14
James H. Miller
hi it took me awhile to dig through all my watches but i have a illinois electric railroad standard.i dont know if the dial came with this watch but its now on a sixty hour bunn special s.n. 5060068 in my book thats a 1927 the year before they sold to hamilton.it is housed in a stiff bow white gold filled case that has R.R. marked inside it.
March 02, 2008, 13:29
Tony Dukes
Steve,
The Illinois Electric Railroad Standard watches were popular on street and interurban rialways. They were not railroad approved because they were not adjusted to 5 positions.
Tony