Internet Horology Club 185
Digital Camera + Microscope

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7356029761/m/8081023491

July 03, 2006, 17:04
Cort Moore
Digital Camera + Microscope
Hi Folks,
I was reading a thread on macro-photography on the green board and decided to try one of the suggestions offered. The result surprised me!
The shot below was taken with a Nikon Coolpix P2
using the regular photo mode (no macro)and with the flash off. I hand held the camera against the eyepiece of my AO microscope set at 20X. Lighting was a bare 60W bulb.
The first shot is exactly how it appeared when I loaded it to the computer.There's a nickel scale at the top.

July 03, 2006, 17:14
Cort Moore
This shot is how it looked after enlarging it further on computer. Perhaps even more impressive was realizing this movement was hand engraved!
The depth of field issue will require some further study but I am happy I'm beginning to
to find out what my camera can do.
-Cort

July 03, 2006, 18:08
Robert V. Jones
Cool Cool

tymekeeper005
July 09, 2006, 07:44
Phillip Sanchez
Hi Cort,
Assuming in advance, that no question is stupid. Confused Was that with a monocular microscope?
Thanks, Phil.
August 02, 2006, 02:20
Sheila Gilbert
Cort,
Great pictures!
I wanted to let you know that I posted some Microscopes that I have been researching for just this kind of work.
I wrote to the company and they gave me some information. Check out my post on this board it's really nice to see that they make something that WE can finally use. All different prices and accessories too!

Great Pictures, boy will this ever help us get the shots!

Sheila
August 30, 2006, 02:24
Cort Moore
I'm embarassed to admit it but, several days after Rob Jones posted a response to my post, I stopped looking at this thread for updates. First, to Phil Sanchez, no, it is a binocular microscope and I used the left side.
To Shiela, I am glad you've been looking into this. I was pretty amazed that my digital could be hand held to the eyepiece of my microscope and get such a decent pic!

At any rate, I came back to this thread to show my son Addison what few tricks I've figured out with my camera. He's been borrowing it to put his Pez collection up on ebay recently (and has been doing quite well I think (50-80 apiece!?)). He's looking to buy a digital camera online so he can continue selling after he moves down to Santa Fe in a couple of weeks.
I was glad to find the new responses to my post and am sorry I didn't see and respond sooner.
-Cort
August 30, 2006, 13:17
Jerry Freedman
I wonder why one would need a microscope. My Nikon Coolpix 995 can focus to within 3/4 of an inch in the macro setting!