• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Minolta Dimage 5 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The camera I use is a Minolta Dimage 5. There seems to be an old and new version of this camera. I have the newer version. (I only wish I knew the correct pronunciation of the word. Should it be one syllable and sound like the American coin or two syllables?) The capacity is 3.2 Mega pixels. It has a 7X optical zoom as well as some digital zoom which I have never used. The camera is shaped like a film type SLR and many of the features in the directions are explained in terms of the SLR’s that many of us know (The instruction booklet is 147 pages long.) For instance, the 7X optical zoom is equivalent to a range of focal lengths from about 35MM to about 135mm. That gets one from wide angle to portrait length. The camera has a viewfinder that flips up 90 degrees. This allows the photographer to look down into the camera in stead of always from behind. The camera has a built in flip up flash. Time exposures can be made for things like fireworks displays. It has macro capabilities, spot auto focus or range auto focus. Most of the automatic settings can be overridden. The exposure can also be set for aperture priority or shutter priority with the light meter doing the rest of the work. Sensitivity can be set in terms of ISO. There are special settings for sports pictures, backlit settings, text, etc. There is also a setting to bracket exposures. This allows you to compensate for any “apparent mistakes” the exposure meter may make because of large areas of white or black in the screen. This feature will give three exposures using three f settings, etc. The camera will take digital movies, but I have never used that feature. AC adapters are available as are accessory telephoto, wide angle, and fish eye lenses. Data storage (electronic film) is via Compact flash card. The camera comes with a 16 MB flash card. I have a 128MB and am shopping for a 256 MB. I do not really feel the 256 is a necessity, but the price per MB is about 1/4 or less of what it was when I bought the camera two and a half years ago. Image transfer can be made via usb port or a docking port that the flash card is plugged into. I have found this port easier to use than via usb port. The software is compatible with win 95, 98, 2000 and Me. It also has software compatible with Mac 8.6-9.1. I am using Windows XP and it seems to work OK with it. I am sure the manufacturer has added updates. I have three sets of rechargeable batteries for the camera.
As for shortcomings of digital photography and the camera. The batteries loose capacity when real cold. For instance, I have found that I have to keep the batteries in my pocket when ice fishing till I am ready to use the camera. I have noticed no parallax problems with the viewfinder. Color rendition is very good (This, I think, can be adjusted). I have always been used to a rectangular format with 35 mm and this camera has a square format. When transferred to rectangular format, sometimes perimeter objects can be lost.
As with any computer, I have found the directions a bit difficult to follow sometimes. It seems those computer people assume we know more than we really do when the instructions are written. Maybe they are just poor communicators.
There is a big brother to this camera, the Dimage 7 with mostly the same features but larger mega pixel capacity. (about 5).
These cameras are readily sold on Ebay and have been showing up both new and used. I have included a couple of links to currently active auctions. The auctions probably explain the features of the camera better than I can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2943461321&category=30008

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2943240462&category=30008

The following link is to the manufacturer's site on the cameras.

http://www.dimage.minolta.com/d7d5/index.html

Best regards,
Dick Feldman
Berthoud,Colorado

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002