Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Maintaining Watchmakers’ Screwdrivers "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
Maintenance and Repair of Watchmakers’ Screwdrivers (Rob Berkavicius)

Please post your suggestions for additions or corrections!

Stu

Posts: 355 | Location: Northern Idaho in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Keeping the screwdrivers in top notch shape is one of the first things I was taught in school. One good tip not mentioned is not to press on the the screwdriver when shapening and keep the stones saturated with oil. ( if they are oil stones) Transmission fluid works fine on those oil stones and is a lot cheaper than sewing machine oil. One last thing, I bought a brand new set of Bergeon screwdrivers for school. The plating is coming off all of them and the blades really aren't so hot. They are marked Swiss, but the less expesive French ones seem exactly the same. My point, the quality of the Swiss Bergeon may not be worth the money and the difference between Swiss, French, and Indian screwdrivers may be negligible at this time. Like most things, the prices seem to go up, and the quality down.

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003