Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Steam Train Excursion "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Last winter I took a train excursion to an ice harvest. An ice harvest involves cutting ice out of frozen ponds, and putting the blocks in ice houses insulated with wood and straw. The ice will last all year. Typically the ice would be shipped via rail to Philadelphia and New York. Ice trains were given priority over passenger and freight service due to melting. 25% of the ice would melt on the way. Here are some pics of the fantastic steam locomotive that we travelled on.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
That's cool Scott (no pun intended!). That's a reminder of the system of natural refrigeration that was on its last legs during my childhood. I can remember the ice man delivering blocks of ice to our next door neighbor who had an old-fashioned ice box.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
These days we forget how important ice used to be. I remember seeing on old copy of the Victorian Weights and Measures regulations. There was a lengthy section on ice that covered what size a block of ice was to be and very specific instructions on how it could be divided up into blocks, half blocks etc. You ended up with a bit of ice the right size to fit into your ice box.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Great photos Scott, good to see a Canadian National Mikado so nicely restored. We had a ice house in Calgary, and another 6 miles west at Keith on the banks of the Bow River, where the ice was cut from.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Larry,
I had the opportunity to be in the shops where they are currently restoring another locomotive. I was watching them drive the hot rivets into it. In another section, they were machining the inside of the giant cylinder. In addition, they have a big roundhouse full of engines being maintainedk, as well as a shop where the carpenters are restoring passenger cars.

I will be going on the excursion to the ice harvest again this year. The ponds are already frozen and I think the weather will be agreeable.

I can post pics of the trains and the ice harvest if there is intersest.

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Scott,

I would love to see your pictures.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
posted
I would too, if it isn't to much trouble to upload them.

Rick

Posts: 93 | Location: Frisco, Texas in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2006
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Scott,

Count me in too. I would be interested in seeing those pictures.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002