Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roundhouse "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
An article from the "Living History" magazine from The Henry Ford.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
page 2

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Great article and interesting history of early steam locomotives Tom. The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers had their start in Marshall Michigan on the Old Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. I wonder if this is the same roundhouse they worked out of.

Larry Buchan

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Interesting point in history, Larry. I don't know if this is the one or not, but I will see what I can find out.

Tom

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I'm reminded that I've got to get over to Greenfield Village and the HF Museum this summer...it's been a while...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
What a cool old roundhouse! It's a quarter-round, which is the same size as the Maine Central round house in my home town of Brunswick, Maine.

That round house was not fortunate enough to be restored like the one in the article, but at least it is still standing. After the tracks and turntable were removed, it was converted to wedge-shaped condo flats in the 1970's.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
It is very interesting to watch the activity at the roundhouse.

More pictures (an earlier post) can be seen HERE.

Tom