• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Late 19th century railroad operations "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My son is a budding writer and a 2005 graduate of Georgetown University with a Master's in philosophy. He presently resides in the Arlington, VA area and supports himself bartending.

He has an idea for a short story that involves railroading in the late 19th century. I do not yet know what he has in mind for a story line, I will discuss this with him when he is home for Christmas.

My question is this - does anybody have any suggestions on recommended reading for his research?

#1 request on his Christmas wish list reads as follows:

"Books on railroads in the late 19th century, transcontinental...particularly passenger trains across the midwest (for research purposes for a short story)."

Thanks in advance for any suggestions someone may have!

BTW, this is Union Pacific country here in Western Nebraska, in fact, all of Nebraska. We live several blocks from the country's first transcontinental railroad line, which is still UP's main east-west route.

The world's largest railroad classification yard is UP's Bailey Yards located 50 miles east of here in North Platte, NE. Every summer we enjoy watching and hearing UP's Challenger #8444 steam locomotive go through town on it's way east to some event. Standing in my back yard and hearing that steam whistle is absolutely awesome!

Best regards,
Joe Straub

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
posted
Just talked to my son a few minutes ago on the phone.

This post is to add more specific details to my post above.

My son is especially interested in what it was like to be a passenger on a train in the late 1900's, especially on a long trip across the middle of the country.

However, for purposes of gaining perspective, I think he would be interested in learning about all aspects of late 19th century railroading and rail travel.

Thanks again,
Joe Straub

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Joe, the man you ought to contact for such 'info' would be our own Larry Buchan directly...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Jim,

I have not checked for replies to this post for a week now - - Christmas & all, you know.

Anyway Jim, thanks for the reply and the tip. I will pursue your suggestion.

happy New Year!
Joe Straub