Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Tragic Tale "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
Most of you know that I was a brakeman, trainman in passenger service, conductor, fireman and engineer spanning three railroads from 1969 until I left to be a full time artist in 1999.

During those years I heard or witnessed some great railroad stories. The little story below was first posted by me on another watch forum and I thought you may enjoy it. It's a story from the South Shore Line, the only surviving electric interurban railroad running in the country, and the last railroad I worked on.

I thought I would share this amazing tragic tale from the last railroad I worked on.

There was once, a long time ago, a character that worked as a passenger trainman. He had odd traits such as dressing as a female and riding his job on his days off to see if anyone recognized him.

One day after tying up for the day he went to the dispatcher to request a day off. The dispatcher advised there weren't enough extra men available to cover his assignment. The trainman became enraged which led to the appearance of the evening trainmaster in the dispatcher's office. "Isn't it true that no one can work on a train here without an authorized watch?" asked the trainman. The trainmaster responded,"That's correct." The trainman in question then fished out his 992B and proceeded to smash the thing to bits on the dispatcher's desk. "I can't work tomorrow as I don't have a watch. Now mark me off!" he demanded. The trainmaster then dug out an extra watch he had from his desk and said, "Here ya go, don't break it, and we'll see you tomorrow."

Mitch

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009