Tools
Reply to Post

Today in history! "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
129 years ago today The locomotive firemen effected an organization called the "BROTHERHOOD of LOCOMOTIVE FIREMEN" (BofLF) on December 1st 1873 at Port Jervis, New York. At their convention in Milwaukee WI during September 1906 the name was changed to the "BROTHERHOOD of LOCOMOTIVE FIREMEN & ENGINEMEN"

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Larry, thanks for the post. It is good to remember these things. My dad was a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Carmen (there may have been more than carmen in the union, but I can't recall the full title.) He was a carman for the NYC, later Penn Central. He worked on the rip track in Detroit for many years. My grandfather was a conductor on the Pierre Marquette, and for a time I worked for the Grand Trunk Western.

Keep the stories and posts coming!!

NAWCC #41293
Internet Horology Chapter #104
Interim Exec. V.P. of IHC

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Past Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Jim Wallace
posted
Interesting links to Brotherhoods of Trainmen sites:
BofLEBofLE

BLE

BLFBLF

Casey JonesCasey Jones

Eugene DebsEugene Debs

Brotherhood pins Pins

Brotherhood Of Railway CarmenBRC

[This message was edited by Jim Wallace on December 04, 2002 at 9:49.]

Posts: 141 | Location: Near Anchorage, Alaska USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Excellent links Jim, now I know what I will be spending my night off doing...

NAWCC 157316
IHC 155

Posts: 39 | Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada | Registered: November 23, 2002