• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Alberta, BC, and Yukon Terr. Distribution "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hopefully Larry can advise me of what this actually is. I think by what I read into it, it states the time of mail delivery by the various RR to all the central points within BC, Alberta, and the Yukon.
Just a little RR I hope collectable i picked up a few years ago.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
page 1

posted
page 2

posted
page 3

this booklet probably has 100+ pages

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Bill:

What you have here appears to be a Railway Post Office Directory the first page shows railway names and abbreviations used for larger communities, on the second page an alphabetic list of railway stations and trains, and even steamships that mail would be picked up by it shows:
Cereal a station on the CNR line between Drumheller and Saskatchewan with daily pickup except for Monday.
Cessford was on the CNR near Hana Alberta and mail was picked up by a mixed train on Mondays and Thursdays at 5 AM
Champion was on the CPR line between Calgary and Lethbridge Alberta and mail was picked up daily by Trains No. 538 & 537
Chancellor was on the CPR line between Bassano and Irricana Alberta and mail was picked up by a mixed train on Monday Wednesdays & Fridays.
Château Lake Louise is on the CPR mainline and had daily mail service on passenger trains No. 3,4,1, & 2.
Cheadle was on the CPR mainline East of Calgary and had daily mail pickup by eastbound passenger train No.2
The next page shows:
Lacombe, Alberta this was on the CPR line between Calgary and Edmonton and had daily pickup by trains No. 525, 524, 523, 526, 529, and daily except Saturday by train No. 521, and daily except Saturday by train No. 522. these are a few that I recognize.

A great book of Railway Post office Service history from days gone by, delivering mail by trains and steamships helped keep these services viable, when the Canadian Government, and Canada Post started using trucks, and airplanes for mail service in the early 1960s it chimed out the death knell for many passenger trains, and most of the mixed trains in our country.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Larry,
Great information, I thought it was for mail pickup or drop off, was not sure. It does list just about all towns large and small throughout BC Yukon, and Alberta, touching into Sask.
Sounds like it will be a nice piece of RR memorbillia for me.
Thanks again,
Bill