Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Last Stop "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
for this engine.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
another view

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
What's the story here, Wayne? That looks like red primer on the cab, so is there a possiblilty that this is just a set off boiler/cab assembly of a locomotive restoration project? The frame and running gear could have just been pulled for restoration first. You can see that in front of the locomotive on the rails ahead of the boiler assembly. Confused

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark,
Took this photo from the highway, and the engine was in a iron scrap yard...looks like its being taken apart for the scrap metal. Off to the right of the engine is a bunch of old junked cars, trucks, and even some farm tractors. Smile

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Oh my. The truth hurts, my friend. Frown

I like my story better.... Smile

Seriously, that's really to bad, but thank you very much for capturing these images before it ended up a pile of non-descript scrap metal. Frown

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
This photo was taken Monday, wonder what they are planning for this engine....

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Keep your eyes on this one, my friend. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed it's going to be saved....but who knows anymore?

Regards! Mark

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Any updates, Wayne?

Regards! Mark

posted
I ran across this thread earlier and put out an inquiry on the steamlocomotivephotosandrestoration yahoo mailing list.

This is response that I got:

Re: [steamlocomotivephotosandrestoration] Anyone know what locomotive this is?

Yes, as seen on Doug Bailey's site, it is former GTW 8374, later NS&W 74, at Geneva, Nebraska. I think it was the last one to find a home. Oddly, none went back to their native Michigan.

Steam Locomotive Info Database Link

Bob Yarger
===================================

I did some more research and this is what I came

This locomotive is one of about 6 surviving Grand Trunk and Western 0-8-0s which were sold to Northwest Steel and Wire (NWS&W) in Sterling, IL where they operated into the early 80s----Pretty much the last conventional steam engines in regular use as industrial switchers. When they were finally retired, they were in extraordinarily poor condition.

When the steel mill dieselized, the entire fleet of 16 switchers were donated to the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, IL. Several of them were "euthanized" on the spot due to the fact that there was no realistic way to move them and the remainder were taken to a siding in Galt, IL where they were stored. 5 of them were traded to a scrap yard by the museum for CB&Q 0-1a #4963 which was in imminent danger of being cut up in 1988. The scrap yard definently got the better end of the deal and this was not the preferrable way to dispose of historic artifacts, but it was a fleet of more-or-less identical locomotives in horrible condition and the museum only had resources (both financial and volunteer) to preserve one. There is also a restriction that NWS&W placed on the donation of the locomotives which basically does not allow them to be restored to operation. Also, 0-8-0s are not real desirable canidates for restoration to operable condition due to the facts that they are heavy and slow.

Another one, the #8380, was brought to the museum's campus and is on the roster.

GTW 8380

The remainder were sold one by one to a variety of groups over the years with this one or #8305 being the last one to find a home and it looks like it is being cosmetically restored.

I hope that this helps

Paul Kattmer

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 01, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Great Links, Paul and great information....

Thanks so much for bringing this info to us....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
How about that! I did not realize this was a Northwest Steel and Wire (NWS&W) 0-8-0 switcher. I remember reading a Trains Magazine article about them back in the late 70's (probably still have the magazine buried in a box out in the garage, if memory serves me right.)

Thanks indeed for digging that information out!

HIGH regards! Mark