Tall Tale from CP Rail "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Tall tale from CP Rail

August 1, 1938

When Assistant Superintendent W. (Bill) M. Ansley retired in Regina recently he was presented with a gold pocket watch and $500 in cash. Whether he will use the new watch will yet to be seen as he prefers the pocket watch he obtained 41 years ago when he entered the company's service. He stated that this watch has not varied five seconds in a month. Mr. Ansley bought the watch from his jeweler brother Alfred for $60 and the extra $1.50 for the case. It has never been repaired or out of condition and has been cleaned and checked every two years since it was bought.

I am sure would like to find a watch that keeps this kind of time, his brother Alfred must of been one good watchmaker.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Larry great story glad you posted it and the picture shows a watch that all Waltham collectors would love to own.
Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
It looks to me that the movement is the open face 21 jewel version of the Model 1892 CPR watch. I would love to know what the serial number was.
Kent and I have only three runs recorded in our database:
7,902,800 - 900 OF (4 examples)
10,042,500 - 900 OF (7 examples)
10,082,600 - 700 HC (3 examples)

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002