Internet Horology Club 185
Atmos Clock Bellows

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6346047761/m/9873958287

July 03, 2014, 12:30
Bruce Byrd
Atmos Clock Bellows
I have a early 70's Atmos clock that I bought at an estate sale. It was in a box and had been stored away for years.

The movement is very clean and does not look like it's been molested in any way. I set it up and noticed it's running very slow. From what I've read, it may be the bellows (ran out of gas).

I've noticed some pretty steep prices for repair. There is a gentleman that will refill the bellows for around 65 bucks..

My question... Is removing the bellows something I can tackle? I hate the thought of shipping the whole clock away just for the bellows. Any advice would be appreciated..

Bruce Byrd
July 04, 2014, 15:32
Roger J. Nolfe
Bruce,
This is a clock you probably don't want to mess with. The second hand pinion is glass hard and will snap off very easily without the proper puller. You can get a pretty good idea if the bellows is good by the position of the chain. If it isn't wound around the pulley it's bad. There is good info here: Link
Also, parts for these clocks are near impossible to get.

They are great clocks, running 2 beats per minute and pretty amazing to watch.
July 09, 2014, 02:23
Bruce Byrd
Roger,

I spent most of Sunday reading up on the atmos clocks. I saw a schematic talking about the winding chain. I looked at mine and it was where it should be, so it looks like the bellows is good. I'm trying to figure out how much placement matters on these clocks. I had mine in a central area of my house where it didn't get a lot of light.. Should this clock be placed towards the edges of the house or room?

Got me.. This clock has me scratching my head...

Bruce Byrd
July 09, 2014, 21:44
Roger J. Nolfe
Bruce,
It does not need any kind of light to operate. I would keep it out of any direct sunlight. Very small changes in temperature and barometric pressure are all it needs. Pendulum rotation on a good running movement can be over 500 degrees ONE WAY. If the clock was moved without the lock lever in place damage can easily occur. There is very little power available to operate the clock so it has to be pretty much perfect.