Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

FHS Plate 1104 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Shawn Johnston
posted
Hi All
I have an FHS Plate 1104,I would like to know if the anchor pin is supposed to tilt backward or be straight up & down.I looked in the appendix specified,but it does not pertain to this.
I would appreciate any help

Shawn

Posts: 47 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada | Registered: January 08, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Shawn,
Welcome to IHC. Lots of great people here, I hope you enjoy your time on the site.

From my experience the pin is either straight or bent slightly toward the back plate. I don't know for your particluar clock. As you have said, the book is not helpful with this detail.

I don't know what symptoms your clock is showing, but the position of that pin has never really been a problem. However, I also know that some clocks have been really messed with before we get them.

There should be some backlash as the anchor changes position, giving impulse to the suspension spring.

Have you checked the beat and the drops?

Keep us posted!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Tom
Thank you for the welcome. I love these sites,lots of great people out there willing to help.I did check drops & locks,they seem to be allright.The upper block holder(which I did not realize was slotted)comes off when taking the movement apart.This controls depthing,but I don't think this is a problem.It seems to be in beat.The backlash you spoke about,seems to be there,but the clock will not stay running.It seems to have plenty of power,wheels spin free with about 2 turns on arbour with anchor removed.
Any other thoughts

Shawn

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Shawn,
It looks like you have all the bases covered. Without seeing it, I am stuck on what to look at next.
Do you know the history of the suspension spring? If it was on when you got the clock, it may have been put on just to complete the clock, and may not be the correct strength.

If you have replaced it, and you checked the position of the blocks and the fork, then I am out of guesses without actually looking at it.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Tom
I got to thinking about the fork,in the 10Th edition,suspension unit 25B.The fork is rather high on the spring,so I thought,why not experiment a little,so I did.I lowered it by about 2/3rds,and tilted it slightly down,by doing this it allowed the anchor pin to swing farther left to right,which in turn gave more rotation to the pendulum.Horray!!! it worked,and I'am happy to say that it is running great mechanical wise.Now(rubbing hands together)to get it to keep time.
Many thanks for you suggestions Tom

Shawn

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great results Shawn!!

Again, Welcome! to chapter 185. Do you collect 400 day clocks, or a variety of clocks? It is always nice to talk to a "new" person about their collection. Everyone has their own view on what they like to collect and each of us has interesting things to add to the mix.

My collection is American clocks, although I recently bought a German mission style wall clock. And thanks to this site, I have become even more confused and have dabbled in those little tiny clocks......what do they call them???....oh yeah!......watches!

I would like to hear about what you are up to in the clock world.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Tom
Tom I do like the challenge of the Torsion clocks,they are a bit of a rare breed.I always look to improve a technique,hence my experiment on the 400 day clock.I'm not really a collector as such,I have a few clocks&watches but focus mainly on ways to improve my repair techniques.I would like to one day be able to produce some video programs,which I hope will be useful to new beginner's in the trade.

Thanks for your help and kind welcome

Shawn

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Shawn,
Putting those tapes together would be a great benefit to many people. Good luck with that.

I have moved a topic concerning 400 day clocks to the top of the clock section. I think you will find it interesting.

Tom

posted
Shawn, glad to hear of your sucess on the 400 day clock, glad to hear you did not give up on it.
Yes a tape to help repair people and collectors would be great.
Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Kevin And Tom
I appreciate your comments about a video.I'm doing a rough draft on things that would be of value to both beginer and professional alike.This is the long part of the process.Do either of you have any thoughts on things you would find useful in a video?Do either of you know of any others who have some idea's?
If so please let me know.
Thanks again
Cheers Shawn

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Shawn,
Just think of what you would want shown, and that will probably cover what others would want also.
Some explanations of terms. How to set the beat, since it is different in the 400 days.

Others should add things they would like to see.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Shawn,
Occasionally I see a seller on ebay that has a DVD or video on clock repairs, and one is on torsion clocks. Have you seen a copy of these? I haven't, and thought about getting one. I'm more into the collecting of the clocks rather than repair though. I only do simple repairs so far. Torsion clocks are my favorite, but I also like cuckoo clocks.

Chapter #168 is on all types of torsion clocks, and you might be interested in joining it and getting the back issues of their newsletter, the Torsion Times. There is a lot of info in them that is not in the Horolovar guide. The guide is out of date, and they have been working on a new edition for years. Also Tran Duy Li was working on a torsion clock book, but I haven't heard any more about it in years. A problem with chapter 168 is that you have to be very patient, you may go a year without getting any of the "quarterly" newsletters, and a lot of letters and emails get lost. It needs someone to get things going right, but it is still very informative. You might want to contact Lindsay Bramall for information about joining, I have had no luck in any contact with the club secretary John Hubby.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Shawn as a beginer in clock repair and a newbie in the 400 day clocks.I would like to see information on taking apart and cleaning and putting in beat.Also would be nice to see suspension spring replacement and mainspring replacement.Trouble shooting tips are good to add also.
I have seen the cd on it for sale but don,t know if it is well made or not. Smile