Internet Horology Club 185
synchronizing strike

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6346047761/m/9291090221

March 25, 2005, 12:02
Michael Calderaro
synchronizing strike
When reassembling an eight-day shelf clock, does the count wheel have to be synchronized with the hands so that the clock will strike properly?

I have two vidoes and several books on clock repair, and none of these sources mentions this.

Thanks for any help.
Michael Calderaro
March 25, 2005, 12:35
Greg Reeves
any hands on any movement will have to be sychronized with the strike/chime.

If your speaking of an American 8 day clock(which it sounds like). The easiest way to do that is to move the minute hand forward until the clock strikes an hour.

If the minute hand is at twelve and it strikes 7 times...just push the hour hand to match. If the minute hand is at a quarter or half hour when the clock strikes an hour...remove the minute hand so that its pointing to the twelve.

greg
March 25, 2005, 12:55
Michael Calderaro
Greg,

Thanks for your quick reply. I finally got a chance to practice on the movement you sent me.

Michael
March 25, 2005, 13:34
Greg Reeves
OH! ok, I thought your name sounded familiar, but it did not "click" Wink

greg
March 25, 2005, 20:36
Tom Seymour
The hour hand, as Greg said, is, on countwheel American movments, just friction fit on the hour cannon. Thus adjustment is just carefully moving the hour hand to match the strike.

When a clock is allowed to run down, the time and strike side do not stop at the same time. Thus the next time you wind it, it will be out of sync. This is pretty common, and the solution is fairly simple.

Tom
March 27, 2005, 09:41
Michael Calderaro
Tom,

Thanks for your help.
Michael