Internet Horology Club 185
Cuckoo wheel coil spring

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6346047761/m/8331016581

November 27, 2005, 16:02
Bangs Tapscott
Cuckoo wheel coil spring
Anybody know the proper way to install a cuckoo wheel coil spring? Specifically, the proper way to get the loop over the hooks?

Bangster

bangster
November 28, 2005, 16:48
Tom Seymour
There are right and left springs. They need to be placed on so that they loosen during winding and become tight when running the clock. The springs usually have an extended part at one end with a square that fits into the proper spot on the wheel.

If you could post a picture of spring and wheel, that would help to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Tom
November 29, 2005, 21:06
Bangs Tapscott
The problen I'm talking about is this: The spring has a loop which attaches it to the sprocket-wheel. The sprocket-wheel has two "hooks" that the loop is supposed to loop over. The diameter of the loop is smaller than the distance between the ends of the two hooks. HOW TO GET THE LOOP OVER THE HOOKS? I've finally gone with brute force: bend the hooks up (after heat treatment), put the spring loop over them, bend them back down.

Is there a more gentle procedure?

bangster

bangster
November 30, 2005, 00:04
Tom Seymour
Bangster, I do not know right offhand, but I know someone who will know. I will ask and report what he says.

Tom