• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with clockworks identification "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone help provide id for the clockworks shown in pic?
I have looked extensively for ST like this one but without success.

Posts: 5 | Location: Bloomington, Indiana in the USA | Registered: September 10, 2022
IHC Member 2030
posted
No idea mr curry
That looks very interesting
I understand there were many independent makers
Looks old
I do like the markings
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Thanks Mike for your reply. Old wall clock that would run too fast no matter what I did with the pendulum which I think is too short. I have a new mainspring to install but trying to figure out what I’ve inherited from in-laws who were antique dealers.

Posts: 5 | Location: Bloomington, Indiana in the USA | Registered: September 10, 2022
IHC Member 43
posted
The movement shown is Seth Thomas model 41A. It should measure 6” high, 5 1/2” wide by 4” thick. Length of the suspension from center of movement to center of bob should be 13”.

There was another variation of the 41 movement, the 41M which is the same except that the suspension length was 7”.

Hope this information is helpful.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks for the response. I’ll confirm measurements you gave by late November as I’m away from the clock. Any idea of the probable age and what the 4-7/8 mean in lower left of pic?

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I'm sure Curly can straighten this out, but I think the 41 movement has a 13" pendulum drop.
And I don't see any examples of 41's with 4 7/8"?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 43
posted
Guys, I found the info on the movement in Tran’s Seth Thomas book volume one. it didn’t say anything about the 4 7/8. I have seen that before somewhere but can’t remember where. This old age thing is really fun. I will do some research to see what I can find this weekend.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Oh wow! That’s very kind of you.

IHC Member 43
posted
Guys, I did some more research on the #41 movement and found that the info I was looking at was from 1907.
Further info revealed that there were more then 21 variants of the #41 movement in later years.
I could not find enough photos that were clear enough to identify any numbers on the right rear leg of the movements that would indicate they were using them to ID pendulum length, but that is probably what it indicates

Hope this helps, Curly

posted
Thank you for the info. Logic tells me the 4-7/8 stamp refers only to pendulum length.