Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

jefferson Mystery Clock HELP "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Guys,
I need a little help.
My son gave me a nicely refurbed mystery clock for xmas.
I picked it up in NYC this weekend and it was running fine.
However, I wrapped it, laided it down in a box, brought it back to Boston in my car.
Plugged it in when I got home. NOTHING.

I can hear the motor hum, but the minute hand will not move and the counter weight for the Hr hand swings free as it is suppose too.

I hate to take it apart blind without a little adult guidance.\

Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jim,
This one is not bad to take apart. Two screws hold on the base plate. Once that is removed you will see the motor. The gear from the motor should mesh with the gear that is around the glass. If the motor is humming, but not turning, then a replacement motor would be the thing. Check the gears to see that none are stripped, or teeth worn so they don't engage the next wheel.

All parts are available for the golden hour.

I can take pictures of one I have if you want more detailed directions.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Tom,
Let me take the base cover off and see if I can detect the problem. If for some reason it is not obvious then I will have to go with step 2.
The thing that really irrates me is that I know my son paid some serious money for this. It worked on Sat, but does not work now.
I hate to even mention this to him. I just want to quietly repair it and say nothing to him, if you know what I mean.

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Jim,

Check out this info from Timesavers:

http://www.timesavers.com/GoldenHourRepair.htm

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jim,
It could be a number of things. The ring gear that goes around the glass is glued in place. If the glue failed, then this could also be the problem. I have a few of them around here, so taking pictures is no problem.

Let me know what will help you best. Andy had given the link to Timesavers. That is the place to go for parts. You can built your own new Golden Hour from the parts available!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
tom, Appreciate the help. I found the web site and printed the repair and assy instructions off, the process is fairly simple.

my main concern is that the motor is gone, and if thats true, I was looking for a simple method to determine that before I disassembled the clock. if it is the motor, a new one is short $$$ . I am goig to take it apart in the next day or so.
Thanks
For All the help

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Tom,
Here is what I have done and found out.

1. When you remove the ring gear plate the shaft gear on the motor turns freely.
2. Ring gear is attached to the glass, no problem
3. when you lay the clock flat, then lay the gear down and engage the gear mesh on the motor shaft to the gear teeth on the ring gear, motor will not turn the ring gear plate.

I did this just lying flat so I could see the turn, no pressure with the retaining ring.

CONCLSUION: The motor requires replacement.
Anybody else have a different conclsion or suggestion

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jim,
It looks like you have narrowed things down quite a bit.

I am no expert on electric motors, so I am more thinking outloud here, and not giving any sort of learned advise.

If the motor is turning, but does not turn the gears when meshed, could there be some binding of the gears. Has there been some wear that would distort the teeth on either gear? If the gears look to be in good condition, then I would go for a new motor.

I have seen some where the gears were not assembled correctly at some point, and damage was caused by the motor trying to run.

Keep us posted.

Tom

Tom

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
I think its an internal gear slippage problem when you put resistance on the motor gear teeth.
I talked to the guys a Timesaver and ordered a new motor. Should be here in a few days.
Lets see what happens

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That sounds like the way to go Jim. Let us know how it works out.

Tom

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Tom,
Just waiting for the motor, very easy to change. With all this expierence, maybe I found a side business, LOL

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
So, Jim, what happened? Don't leave us hanging here! EekIt's like reading a good mystery, only to find the last couple of pages were ripped out of the book! WinkRegards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002