Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Splendex - small clock, general questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello all,

I would like to pose a couple of general questions regarding a small Splendex clock. The movement is about 2 inches across. It has a balance wheel escapement and an attached wind up key on the back.

I removed the movement to look it over. I found some globs of dried up greenish goo on the balance wheel. Once I removed the globs, its behavior improved. But the movement is pretty dirty and could use a good cleaning!

Here are my questions, as I have not worked on a tiny clock such as this before --

Removing the front glass piece: The glass and bezel appear to be press fitted. I don't see any screws or pins. Do I just gently pry the rim loose so that I can get in there to remove the hands?

Dried up green goo: Do you know what the dried up green goo is? I haven't known regular clock oil to behave this way.

Balance wheel and tiny coil spring: I know these types of escapements can be pretty delicate. Does anyone have any general tips and advice for working on such a small clock movement? I really don't want to do anything to damage the escapement.

Otherwise, I think if I proceed very carefully, this could be a simple cleaning job. However, I would really appreciate any advice you all may have!

THANKS!!!

-Joe

Posts: 13 | Location: Nevada City, California U.S.A. | Registered: January 13, 2005
posted
Hi Joe and welcome to ch 185.
Proceeding carefully and asking questions is a good thing to do.Someone like Tom Seymour could probaly give you better advice than i.