• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Escape wheel "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Somewhere in the history of this clock someone has replaced at least two teeth on the escape wheel. These are on the right side and a little above the center. The adjoining two teeth are at least bent or out of shape. I found this when cleaning a Seth Thomas #124. To my amazement, after installing quite a few bushings, the clock runs well with the botched escape wheel. The beat, however, is all over the charts. The clock owner does not want to spend the money to have a new wheel made.
If it was my clock, the sound of the erratic beat would irritate me.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
It is funny how some clocks have to have the escapement exactly correct and others will run like yours!

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Greg,
Yes, it is odd that this clock runs. My experience with ST 124's is that they can be finicky when everything is correct.
The lady that owns the clock is kind of a crank, and has pressing me to get it done, so I was lucky on two counts.
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Hey Dick,
That picture of the escape wheel sure is fun to play with with the scroll wheel on my mouse. Big Grin

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004