• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lacquer finish supplier "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Today I visited a friend who does a bit of antique lamp work and I asked him about lacquer for brass. He gave me a flyer for a company that sells spray lacquer. He said this stuff is the easiest he has ever used, is durable and that it does not yellow with age. He has had some brass lamps come back into his shop after 15-20 years for service and he says there is no problem matching the old lacquer. The company offers a full line of wood stains, repair products and finishes.
I have seen a lot of activity on this board about lacquer, but nobody has ever come up with a specific supplier, so here is one.

Spray lacquer finish is product part number 103-0500

Mohawk Finishing products
4715 STHWAY30
Amsterdam, NY 12010-7417
Telephone 1-888-366-4295 (for your personal account representative)
or 518-843-1380
Fax 1-800-721-1545
I would like to know if anyone has experience with the product line.
Best Regards,
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
I ordered a couple of cans and had occasion to use it the other day on clock plates.
The lacquer applied without any problems and did a respectable job.
I will report back again on its longevity in another 25 years or so.
Dick

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Dick,

Sorry I missed your original post to this thread. I use some of Mohawk's finishes in my furniture restoration business. They have a respectible product line and are very well known in this industry. They tend to specialize more in touch up products than production finishes which is what I mainly use so I don't have a lot of their products on hand but my experience with them over the years has been pretty good. They have been around for a long time and have a good reputation.

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
A day or so ago, I grabbed the wrong can and sprayed lacquer on my eye glasses instead of glass cleaner. It does not work good for that. The lacquer sticks to plastic lenses quickly. I am due for new specs anyway.
Dick