Internet Horology Club 185
Very Tight Center Arbor Clutch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6346047761/m/3691040612

March 03, 2006, 17:38
William Chappell
Very Tight Center Arbor Clutch
I just overhauled an English Smiths Westminster floating balance movement. It's doing great, but any minute hand adjustments are very difficult. I normally don't lubricate this spring, but wouldn't it make sense to lube it when there is this much pressure? I observed the minute hand had been silver soldered at some point. If the client attempts to adjust time from the outer portion of the minute hand, it will definitely break again. Your thoughts please.

Bill
March 03, 2006, 17:46
Greg Reeves
Although I've never oiled these...I have loosened them up a couple of times.
March 03, 2006, 21:26
Robert Michael Fullerton
If that minute hand has been soldered Bill I'd say thats a problem with some history behind it.Like Greg I"m not above loosening up the tensioners and to be honest with you I don't think a drop of oil on your clutch would be the end of the world.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton
March 04, 2006, 18:35
Greg Reeves
how'd you make out with this?
March 23, 2006, 17:58
William Chappell
I just got back to the Smiths. (was waiting for a new bezel to arrive before pulling the movement again). After applying oil to the clutch and all pressure points on the center arbor, hand adjustment now seems normal. So, it appears ultrasonic cleaning removed all traces of old lubricant leaving me with extreme center arbor friction due to brass turning against steel under pressure. The lubricant decreased the friction adequately to correct the hand adjustment problem.

Bill
May 13, 2011, 14:56
William N. McCormick
Good solution. This works for a multitude of English and German clocks. Beware, though, of using an excess of oil on the clutch of an old Gilbert( pin clutch) or Sessions.(pressure fit) You then have to disassemble and start all over again.

Bill