• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rack but no snail???? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This evening, I tried to post the folowing on the NAWCC Board and was unable to attach the photo.
The clock that houses this movement came in for repair. The movement has a broken main spring or broken spring end on the time train (spring barrel). As I was examining the movement, I noticed that it had a rack, but no snail. It strikes on the hour and half on a cup bell attached to a bell stand on the rear plate. The strike actuating sequence is the same as any “normal” clock, except the rack falls against one of six pegs in the wheel linked to the hour wheel. This wheel rotates once in three days. Is there a name for this strike assembly?
The movement has a Brocot escapement between the plates. I think the escapement will be trouble as the exit pallet is rotated and someone has been soldering on the verge arbor. The escapement seems to lock and unlock, but it is not correct. I expect the escape wheel to recoil, if it does “work.” I really hate to see things like this as nothing was likely wrong with the escapement before someone “fixed” it.
The rear of the movement is stamped “Rainco, Freres, Paris.” It came out of a slate and brass statue clock that is approximately 25 inches tall. The clock dial is marked “Pernet A Nancy.” I will probably post some pictures of the clock case, and dial later as the owner asked me to inquire about its origin. The case feet were loose and one piece of slate is broken. I have glued the broken pieces and am waiting for the glue to set so I can reattach the case foot.
D

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Hi Dick,

I've not played around with clocks for a while even though I've a dozen or more of those French clock kicking around the place, so forgotten some of the correct terminology.

The strike I think is a Countwheel system (or pin wheel not sure which now), but I'm used to seeing the wheel on the back of the movement not the front - but then I haven't stripped many of mine ......... I daren't until I clear the decks of watches!

As far as I'm aware, the Brocot escapement doesn't recoil, it's a variation on the Graham dead beat type.

Sounds like the solding 'fix' may have been to solve a problem with the crutch collet moving on the arbor and the clock going out of beat?

The maker was obviously a Parisian, but the retailer on the dial 'Pernet' was situated in Nancy in the Lorraine department of N.E. France, quite close to the German border.

Some of these clocks are more 'travelled' than most people, always amazes me where these eventually wind up (no pun intended) Big Grin

Regards
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John,
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you on how "well traveled" these clocks usually are. The owner and his wife paid the big bucks for this clock some time ago. These clocks are personally not my favorites, because most have been hurt by inexperienced repair people.
The owner told me where he had taken the clock the last time it would not run. I know the shop and the quality of work that comes out of that door. I have been in his shop on a courtesy visit and seen him battle and loose with a Brocot escapement. (The guy's normal solution is to transplant a quartz movement)
My main concern is that after I replace the main spring, the clock will not run because of the escapement problem. From looking at the present condition, the escape wheel may have bent teeth and the entire geometry is just plain wrong.
You are correct, the Brocot escapement is not supposed to recoil.
As always, the best approach is honesty. I hope the clock owner will understand the pitfalls that may await.
I may get around to taking some pictures of the case this afternoon.
Again, many thanks for helping me out.
D

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Dick, that is an unusual strike mechanism. I worked on one of those before. I'm not sure of the term for it. The drop of the rack depends on the position of the pins on the wheel that engages with the hour pinion.
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
That's a very interesting striking system. I'd like to see more/closer pictures of it. I have never seen one like it.
Regards,
Bob

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004