• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Foresstville clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have this Forestville clock, it is a 8 day and has westminster chimes.For the last 3 weeks it has run very well.I wound it last weekend and noticed this week it plays the westminster chimes on the hour and on the quarter hours.However it does not strike the hours any more.I have wound all 3 springs.
It keeps time well.
Here are some pictures of it.
Any ideas why this might be happening?

clock

posted
Last picture, notice the neat balance wheel at the top of the movement, this clock is one of my favorites. Smile

clock 2

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Kevin,
We talked about a couple of possibilities in the CAT/RT. Let us know what you find.

(set screw on a lifting lever may be loose or hammertail may be missing the cam)

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom, i think i know the main problem for the clock stopping .I looked at the wheel on the platform escapement and noticed the pivot in the upper jewel is loose.There are no screws holding the jewel in.I also noticed one side of the platform that holds the staff in place someone shimmed one side only.I will see what happens when i take the shim out as the wheel is verry loose in the top jewel now.I laid the movement flat on my bench so the wheel is more or less straighter and it is running steady now.At first thought dirt, but i have seen dirtier clocks run.

posted
Just to further add to my last posting.When the balance wheel in the bridge rotated it was hitting against the bridge and stopping it.I took it apart today and saw both upper and lower jewels are in poor shape.Replacing the whole escapement would be expensive.I also noted the screws that hold the upper jewel in are underneath the bridge.
Does anyone know of a source for these upper and lower jewels?
I have seen replacement platform escapements but prefer to replace the jewels. Smile

posted
Update,
The escapement needed work, someone, won,t mention names, mainly me broke the regulator arm on it last year, the platform escapement.
So Shawn Johnston repaired the escapement and i nstalled the escapement onto the movement this afternoon and wound it up.It started up running great.Now to just put the movement back into the case and put the hands on, and the job will be pretty well done .
Smile
I am quite pleased with the great repair job Shawn did on this escapement.
Thanks again my friend. Smile

posted
I put the movement back into the case this morning and put the hands on it, it,s running.I know it needs a clean and oil job, but my skills are not quite there yet.Someday it will get service.For the moment my old friend is good to see back on my end table.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Shawn Johnston
posted
Hi Kev
Hey I sure am happy Smile that the westy is up and running. SmileHappy also the platform is working good.I,ll bet that once you clean it up it will run even better.Thanks for the kind words,I was more than happy to help out.
Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Your friend
Shawn

Posts: 47 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada | Registered: January 08, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very neat clock Kevin and great teamwork in getting it up and running again. Thanks for the update.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002