WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Terry & Sons Pillar & Scroll needs crutch straightened "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Please have a look at my post under "Clocks" about Terry & Sons P&S Value. I want to get this clock running to prove out its value, but I want to know if I can straighten the severely bent crutch. It seems very soft but I don't want to break it. It is actually twisted around so the loop faces backward and has a really bad kink about 2" up from the loop.

How whould I approach this?

Thanks!

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
It appears to be brass, is this correct? No matter, this is what I usually do: using a pair of flat faced pliers...hold the straight part of the crutch(above the bend), with your other hand grab the lower part of the crutch and pull/push the wire until you achive more of the crutch being straight, move the pliers down above the next bend, squeeze and push/pull again. Continue this action until the wire is completely straight. When setting the beat, begin the bend at the top of the crutch to acheive the greatest adjustment ...and lower for finer adjustment. Sorry, I'm having a hard time putting this into words.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Thanks for your reply Greg.

The crutch is soft steel, probably of a low grade or possibly even iron. American steel making was nearly non-existant until about 1850, a good 25 years after this clock was made.

I know how to straighten it (ie. physically what needs to be done), my concern is that the 175 year old poor grade metal will be broken by normal techniques.

I was hoping someone with experience with really old American clocks had some special techniques to share to avoid breakage.

Thanks.

posted
Well J.B.,that's the dilemma all clock repair types face with old clocks,including yourself.You know it has to be corrected but by the same notion you know if your the slightest bit overzealous your efforts are going to have a negative effect on an irreplaceable antique clock part.
If I were doing it I would clamp that crutch at the furthest point from the loop to spread the torsional load over the whole distance and slowly commence to twisting it back to its proper location.As far as the kink goes I would use a technique that you are comfortable with rather than try to follow everyone elses well intentioned suggestions and I'm sure you will get plenty of excellent ideas but it's your clock and if you follow someone elses suggestion and it breaks surer than **** your going to say"Dammit I should have did it my way to begin with" so what the ****,do it your way to begin with. Smile
Well best of luck with your crutch problem,let us know how you made out.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Bob,

You are absolutely right. Advice is always worth at least what you paid for it. I'll just have to be careful and do the least amount of work to accomplish the goal. Worst comes to worst, I have to replace it with modern steel, but it'll work.

posted
I went after it last night and things went OK. I untwisted it as Bob suggested with no problems. That left me with the loop facing the right way but several kinks in the wire from 1-2" above the loop. Some I was able to straighten directly, some I merely flattened between the jaws of my wide smooth jaw pliers. Still a bit kinky, but it'll get the clock running.

Thanks for the moral support.

posted
The clock has been running for 4 days now with no problems. The crudely replaced tooth in the motion idler is not an issue at all. Probably because it is so lightly loaded. For anyone interested in seeing the clock, I will be bringing it to North Coast. Call me on my cell listed at my website Bruce Weeks Clock Repair.