Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

which mainspring winder is the best "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Hope you folks don,t mind me asking another question...

Which mainspring winder is the best i want one that will do both loop end and hole end springs..I have 2 winders and neither work very good,, one of them is downright dangerous,dont want anymore black fingernails.. Big Grin

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Samie, Whaat winders do you have?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have a Ollie Baker style that I like a lot. It has a wide range capabliity for barrel or open springs. Merrits Antiques carries it. www.merritts.com

For many years I simply wound springs into barrels by hand, until I lost my grip once and the barrel teeth nearly removed the palm of my hand. OUCH!

For open end springs I have a small cast iron piece made just for that purpose (I think they are aluminum today) much cheaper but will not work on spring-in-barrel types. I don't use it much since I bought the Ollie Baker.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Tom here is the 2 winders i have neither one much..
this one works fair for springs inside a barrel

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
this one is a dandy for mashing fingers Smile

posted
I will second the Ollie Baker recommendation.

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
posted
Sammie,
Click the link below to look at a mainspring winder that Joe Collins built. I think he has made some improvements since this design.
I was impressed and will someday build one for my own use.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/5146029761/m/3641095821
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
S.S.! Throw that little cast iron thing away. Buy an OLLIE BAKER! Costs a little more. You get what you pay for. In this case - you do. I have never heard a dissenting opinion on an Ollie Baker. KERTHUNK! Thank you. Scottie.

Howard S. McElroy

Posts: 8 | Location: Mesquite, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2005
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Samie:
I use a Webster and I like it fine, but I do find the Ollie to be safer.
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Hi Samie,

This URL will take you to a detailed description of how to use the Ollie Baker winder.

ftp://ftp.webcom.com/pub/z4murray/repair/olliebaker.doc

It was this description that prompted me to build my own. I just couldn't see having to wind with one hand while holding the increasing pressure with the other. So Scottie you have at least one dissenting opinion.

JMO

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks everone for the information i took a look at the links posted and they were a big help.

Joseph nice job on the winder you made ,great job..i am going to buy one but i may try making one also.. I have a couple of small 3 jaw chucks that came off a small metal lathe i could use...

I spent a lot of time running a metal lathe and milling machine back in my working days so maybe i can whip up something that would work.. Smile

posted
Samie,

Look at my post 'I Did it Again' under Tools & Misc. That is about a wooden model I came up with that works very well. I have made a video showing its use and have drawings of it that I can email. If you would like a copy of the video and/or the drawings send me a PM with your email and mailing address. This offer of information goes for anyone interested in this information.
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Joseph
thanks for the kind offer i sent you a email..
Smile

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Joseph i sent a email to nofnf@sbcgobal.net and is was sent back by my server ..did i get your email right..
SAMIE

posted
Samie,
That would be N zero FNF. The zero throws lots of folks off. Try it again.
Joe

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
I have been working with using a variable speed drill to wind the spring. One needs a slow speed, and I'm trying a "cage" for it to be wound inside. Perhaps it will work properly when I'm completed with the modifications, but so far it is quite a good method.
Moses Gingerich
Waxhaw NC

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005