• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Replacing hammer leather "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm replacing the leather in the hammer of an Ansonia. I have the leather in place in the hammer, but somewhere in the back of my mind I think I have read that I am supposed to 'flame' or singe the leather to harden it. Naturally, I have tried to find where I have read it but can't find any reference at all in my small library.

So what does the group think? Am I finished just getting the leather "slug" into the hammer, or is there another step (or steps)?

Thanks in advance --

Posts: 11 | Location: Williamsburg, Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Hi Jim:
I can't speak for others but I'll tell you what I do.
Once I get the leather plug cut to size I put it in the hammer pocket dry to let the plug conform to the pocket.I then remove it and then put a light coat of Super Glue over the entire plug and reinsert it.This method not only helps retain the plug in the socket but also gives the hammer face a nice hard striking surface without damaging the leather.
I,m sure other Clockies have their own favorite methods.I just thought I'd pass my way of doing it along to you.
Your Friend,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Many have their own way of handling this. I like to start with the toughest leather I can find. My mentor told me to go to the nearest cobbler and ask for the scraps of sole leather that they trim when resoling a shoe.

This is great leather for hammers.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
What do you use to "cut" the leather to size?

thanks
greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg,
I use a sharp knife to cut the leather. Usually in a square just a bit larger than the round opening for the hammer. Then I take a pair of pliers and squeeze the lower part of the leather into the round shape to fit the hole.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I simply use old leather left over from dog leashes (can't find leather ones any more!) It is kinda hard but not as hard as 50-100 year old leather. Leave it about 3/16" to 1/4" long beyond the hammer face and after and trying for tone, the length can be trimmed to make it sharper. Most leathers are screw in so I don't glue unless it is a press fit without threads.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
I get replacement leather from a treadle type sewing machine drive belt. It is round, approx. .160" in diameter and 6 ft. long. I bought it on Ebay for 6 or 8 bucks. The supply of hammers will probably outlast me.
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004