Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Grade 574 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
OK, I'm on a roll this evening and I can't stop. I am posting this not because it is an unusual or particularly collectible watch.

There were a number of factors that influenced me to buy this watch that is outside my area of interest and I am interested if there are others here that have had the same experience.

It is an Elgin, 16s, 17j, grade 574. It was manufactured in 1949, the same year I was born.

Jack

works

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Also. it had a dial I had not seen before that really caught my eye.

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
The case shows pretty heavy wear on the back (so do I after 54 years)and it requires a fair degree of manipulation and work to get the scewback to screw on properly. (I won't go there)

Additionally, it came with a pretty nice t-bar vest chain and, of all things, a pocket watch key. The key is marked Patent'd April 1, 1874, Watchmaker & Jeweler, Fred Harsch, Vincennes, Ind. It is a #8, swivel type key.

Finally, the whole package priced out at $20.00. I'm kinda embarrased to say I tried to knock the guy down 5 bucks. Who else has had an "out of focus" collecting experience like this?

Jack

posted
Those dials are millitary I believe and probably not original to the watch but way cool none the less. Those model 20 Elgins except for the 571 came with single sunk box car dials or standard "marginal minute" dials I believe. I bought two of those same dials, NOS last year. I like the looks of them.

Nice watch.

Fellow Elgin nut,

Aaron

posted
Nice watch Jack and looks to be in very good shape.You got it at a good price too.
I am a Elgin guy too.

Kevin "Veritas" West
IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
Is it known whether “5 ADJUSTMENTS” in the 574 meant hot, cold, isochronism, and 2 positions or temperature, isochronism, and 3 positions?

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Jack D.,

I like your Elgin watch! And what a deal! The dial is quite different and I like the frilly work around the edge. Good going Jack!! Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
Jack,

The watch is cool! Clearly it is taking on shall we say the deficiencies of aging as its human owner might one day! How interesting.

On "Adjustments" heat and cold combine as temperature. The other three are to the basic positions. (I won't go there either Jack!) Although not RR grade this is a very efficient timekeeper.

Some watches assume a special place in our hearts. This is such. Thank you for sharing it Jack!

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine

Chapter 185 Administrative Secretary
Chapter 185 Membership and Mart Coordinator
NAWCC Member 157487
IHC Life Member (L4) 164

Smile

Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
Thanks Dr. D for your take on the meaning of “5 adjustments” in the 574! I asked the question because Wayne Schlitt’s Elgin site says that the 574 was adjusted to 2 positions. It’s not an idle question historically because (as I understand it) A3P was required for electric railway usage, while A2P wouldn’t have qualified.