Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My first Canadian pvt. label watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A very nice George G Nettleton Larry. With the watchmaking history of the Nettleton family I guess it was just a matter of time before one of them became a railroad watch inspector.
The movement of my watch dates to 1905. I hope I can dig up some more information on James E Nettleton.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ed

What other information are you looking for, maybe I can help.

Tom

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
Nothing in particular, just anything I can find.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Edward:

If you get some better pictures of your J. Nettleton Waltham, could you please post them on the Canadian Private-Label thread, and I will post some better pictures of my George G. Nettleton Omega private-label dial.

Larry

posted
Ed

More information about the Nettleton family including two pictures showing James Edward as a child and young man amongst his family

John Nettleton family

Regards
Gerald

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Gerald,
Thank you very much for continuing to find information on the Nettleton family. Information like this is more interesting than the actual watch.
Sadly I am not allowed to print it, though I did save it.

posted
Ed

The Nettleton story continues with it's start:

John Nettleton (from a masonic newsletter)

John Nettleton was born at Lofthouse, Yorkshire, England on the 12th day of November 1832. His father William Nettleton and Grandfather before him carrying on the business of merchant tailors in that village. After learning the business with his father, he worked at the trade ln Leeds, London, Manchester and Liverpool. At the later place he was married to Elizabeth Boardman Womersley an May 9th, 1853 in St. Peter's Anglican Church.
On April 4th, 1857 he and his wife and one child emigrated to Canada, arriving in Toronto on the 23rd day of the same month, following a hectic 19 day journey. After staying there and at Markham village for a short time, he finally settled down in Collingwood in 1867, then a town at its infancy. He immediately set himself up in the tailoring business in a shop in the fourth building on the east side of the main street. He was located there until the great fire of Collingwood in 1881, which destroyed a complete blocck. He then set up business again across the road at the corner of First Street.
In his very first year in Collingwood, he started to prove his ambitions by being elected town councillor for the Centre Ward and for sixteenn years he held the position of either councillor or deputy reeve. He was elected mayor in 1886 and re-elected in 1887. He was connected with and took an active part in almost everything pertaining to the improvement of the town.
In 1888 he was listed in the Cyclopeadia of Canadian Biography in which it was recorded that besides his many affairs in local affairs, he was very active in every other political movement that had taken place in the country and had always worked for and voted with the Liberal-Conservative Party. ...
Buring all this busy time, he was able to build a nice home, which still stands today directly north of the present United Church on Maple Street. ... He and his wife emigreted to Canada with one son. His family subsequently increased to eight, six boys and two girls. As his tailoring business flourished and in order to be able to devote even more time to his many activities, he hired more seamstresses to carry on the business in his absence.
...(part on his many masonic activities and ranks)..
Finally, on January 9th, 1916 he passed to the Grand Lodge Above and was befittingly buried with Masonic Honours.

John came to Collongwood in response to an advertisement from a business man and a map boasting the development of the town as a business centre.In his journal he wrote his disappointment:
"I could see no trace of the fine streets that were shown on the map. The only steeets cleared were Huron and Front Street. Hurontario Street was dotted with stumps, and the houses seems to be located in a swamp, and though it was the dry time of the year,I could see traces where the water had run across the street. There were no sidewalks and you had to take the road around the stumps"

Collingwood became a business center when the railway arrived in 1857. The picture shows a train found in local archives.

Gerald

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Gerald,
That was a very interesting read. Now we know the whole story of the Nettletons. It is fascinating when you can get this much information on an owner/ watchmaker of one of you watches.
Thanks again,
Ed

posted
The most fascinating is that it could be done from a computer sitting here in Germany. I was fascinated by the story too, the search brought me a lot of side-information. Every watch has a story, but sometimes the story is a little bit longer.

Enjoy your watch. If you need the photos from that PDF in a printable version for documentation mail me at GZDertingen@t-online.de

Regards,
Gerald

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Good Job Gerald!

I have been watch from the sidelines.

Tom

posted
Tom

Without your help at the start I would have never gone so deep (a lot of Nettletons; in the side-line three Frank's in a row and other problems).

Gerald

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Here Ladies & Gentlemen....Another super researcher is born.... Big Grin

Super job Gerald and to go into that depth is terrific....You and Tom combined are indeed a super team....

Keep up the great work....

Regards,

Jerry

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Jerry,
I agree, and only here within the IHC 185 family!

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
What part do you want printed, Ed....I'll print it for you and mail it to you if that will help....

Let me know....

Regards,
Jerry

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Jerry, thanks for the offer. Gerald sent me a printable version via e-mail.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Glad you got it, Ed....

Regards,
Jerry