Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Restoration of a Shooting Match Prize "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
This watch was used for an experiment with balances and hairsprings. The staff was good but the hairspring and roller were missing. Knowing how difficult it is to match a hairspring with a balance, I found a similar Swiss movement and removed the hairspring and the balance wheel from it and mounted them on the balance staff of this watch. I had to fit a new roller as well, and I thank Henry Fried for his excellent book, BENCH PRACTICES FOR WATCH AND CLOCKMAKERS. It was also necessary to replace some of the cracked jewels. Now it keeps time and works rather well, though this watch may not have been worth the time needed to fix it.

The watch itself is a silver, Swiss pin-set of 15 jewels. The engraving on the back indicates that the watch was a government shooting match prize from Munich, Germany, in 1881.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The movement:

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The engraving on the back: