Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton quality - The 10/12 sizes. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
How about another highgrade small watch. The Hamilton 923 10s has 23j and is fitted in an 18k case.

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
the grade 921 (this one in a gold-filled case)

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
- why not jump right to it?

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Maybe it is the oblique view and better lighting? How's this --

IHC Life Member
posted
Jerry, that's a beauty. My all time favorite small Hamilton. Your picture is superb too!

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Well, Larry is having some camera difficulties, so I will go out of turn and show the next grade, the 902. This model superceded the 900 in 1924.

IHC Life Member
posted
Jerry, I'll be back. Yup, my camera is on the fritz. Beautiful 902. Keep them coming, and I'm waiting for that 400. Smile

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is the grade 904 (21 jewel), introduced in 1928 to take the place of the 19j gr.902 This one is in the "Rittenhouse" style case. [The 902, above, is in the "Hawthorne" case]. After this I am out of numbers until we get up to 920, so someone else, please, jump in with the 910, 912, 914, 916 and 917. (Larry already posted his 918). Hamilton put these watches in some very stylish cases.

Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Great photos Larry & Jerry T,
912 movement snapshot - taken this AM by eastern window in morning light

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
One of the most interesting Hamilton 12-size watches is the Grade 400. This movement was originally an Illinois product (Illini model). When Hamilton bought Illinois they recognized that they did not have a watch this thin and decided to convert it to part of the Hamilton line. The first 800 movements (H1001-H1800) were converted from unsold Illinois grade 528 movements (12-size, extra-thin, 2nd model) and introduced in 1930 in four different case styles as the "Tycoon Series". The following image is one of the first 800 movements. These have a full gold gear train. Inset in the lower right is an Illinois "Illini" movement.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The next 1500 movements (H2001-H3500) were built to revised specifications. This image shows a side-by-side comparison. H1749, on the left, has the balance cap and figure-8 escape wheel cap held with screws from above. The pallet fork is held by a pallet cock with one screw. H2485, on the right, has balance and escape wheel cap jewels installed from beneath and a pallet bridge with two screws.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The Tycoon series used four different case styles, all in 18K (white or yellow), and sold for $180 to $190, about $60 less than the Masterpiece in 18K. Shown here are three of the original case styles (Pulitzer, Carnegie and Bok). The fourth case (Nobel, in green or yellow gold) was a plain bascine case with antique pendant (a picture of the Nobel can be seen in THIS THREAD). Also shown here is the Eton style case which was mostly gold-filled and used for later "award" watches, such as the Frigidaire presentation watches that are more commonly seen. The Hamilton 400 and its derivation from the Illinois "Illini" series is one of my research topics on which I hope to publish in the future. I welcome any data from other collectors.

posted
Jerry T
Great photo's of the watch case's, but could I request photo's of the inside of the rear cover?
Would greatly appreciate the chance to view the markings.
Trying to get a good photo on my 914, but it reflects/glares in almost any angle, so still trying. I'm using an Olympus C4000Zoom Digital, and was wondering what you might be using? Thanks

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Wayne,
Are there any particular cases you are interested in? Is your interest on casemaker's marks, interior finish, dustcovers (cuvette)? I am happy to answer any questions.

For my pictures I use various techniques. Most of the straight-on pictures were done on my Epson flat-bed scanner. It provides a nice, even lighting for documenting the watches, but often looks rather flat. I have recently begun taking digital photos with my Nikon 885 Coolpix, which takes great close-ups. I am still playing with lighting. For some photos I use a cut-open plastic 2-1/2 gallon water jug as a light diffuser. For some of the flashier oblique shots I use a tensor lamp (tungsten bulb, direct undiffused light) along with the diffused flourescent lighting. My camera allows me to adjust the white-balance for different light sources (otherwise the colors can be way off). I then tweak my images and composite and crop them in Adobe Photoshop. Thanks for the compliments -- I am still learning.

posted
Jerry T
Were the Tycoon, Pulitzer, Carnegie, Bok, Nobel and other case's manufactured by Hamilton, or were they provided by another case manufacturer? Thats the reason for asking for photo's of the inside case markings. Thanks

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The Bok, Carnegie and Pulitzer cases were made for Hamilton by Schwab & Wuischpard. The Nobel case was made for them by Solidarity. The Eton style case was made by Wadsworth. Here is a Hamilton catalog page from 1932 which includes the Nobel style, which I did not have a picture of. The cases are usually just stamped "HAMILTON WATCH CO. LANCASTER, PA" and 18K.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The grade 920 was produced (concurrently with the 19j grade 900) from 1911 to 1924. This example isn't in top condition, and I must admit to replacing the dial. It came with the identical dial, but in metal that was rather careworn. I am not sure if enamel dials were ever paired with this case, so I am keeping the original, too, and may refinish it one day. The case, very similar to that on my gr.900, does not have a maker's mark, although it does carry the Hamilton name on the cuvette.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Just as the 900 was superceded by the 902 and 904, the 920 was replaced (in 1923) by the 922. These came in a number of beautiful cases. This example is in the "Brunswick" case, made by Solidarity. It does not show in the picture, but the two thin circles inside the number track are filled with blue enamel.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The "Masterpiece" was Hamilton's top presentation watch, cased only in 18K gold ($250 in 1930) or platinum ($685). It used a slightly modified grade 922 movement (922MP). Aside from the apparent "Masterpiece" label (and no grade number), the 922MP movement used an Invar balance identifiable by the location of the cut in the rim of the balance wheel. Note in the inset picture that the cut is farther out on the rim from the balance arm (near the regulator screw in this picture). This example is cased in the model "B" case, made by Schwab & Wuischpard.

posted
JerryT
Those are some great looking Hamiltons. Very much appreciate the chance to view them, and compare the movements. Thanks

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...man...had little trouble choosing my 'Watchmaking Major' as 'Hamilton' after seeing this fine display of absolutey awesome PW timepieces...hopefully, I'll do better at it than
I did as an English Major in University...thanks to all for an 'awesome' exhibition ..Jim C

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Since the 923 picture has disappeared, I thought this discussion could use an example. The small watches in my collection are generally viewable at Small Wonders.

The 923 was also advertized as the Masterpiece although I have never seen a watch marked on the movement. This one is marked Masterpiece on the case and I believe it is all original. The case mark shows the only Masterpiece link. http://www.awco.org/SmallWonders/Ham10s/Ham923/923.htm

Tom McIntyre
NAWCC Second VP
Chapter 185 Member 225

923 Masterpiece