• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pugh Brothers "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Don made a suggestion in a Thread for Lindell to post a Pugh Brothers case....

Here is an empty example I have.... It is in fair to poor condition with bow and case back wear, but the treat is on the inside.... even with the marks that sorta detract..

Note these cases are numbered.....

I will post some "Plain Jane" examples at a later time...

top side..

posted
another view... hard to get a 'good' pic [fast]

<Ball992B>
posted
They have got to be the winner of the best looking inside case back ever...

Real nice pictures Terry Wink

posted
Thanks Don, but the pictures are better than the case!

I bet it was something else when new.... the back shows what is left of a 'bird of paradise' engraving...with brass around it.... the crown is almost slick... and those scratches do not help..

I have seen some of the 'good' ones... lots of detail.... I think I remember seeing # 118 or something close to that... have no idea how many were made.

Later this weekend will post the plain jane ones... there is a twist to them.... Wink

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Pugh Brothers Jewelers, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Cases...

Terry take a look at the numbers on the two cases! You have number 6487664 and below you will see number 6487409 so there are only 254 between them. The frame on this one is marked "A87409" so of course it matches. You get the impression they did not make a lot of these.

Mine houses an Elgin, can you determine what might have been in yours? I bought mine a year or so ago, added premium for the case. Has anyone ever researched these to your knowledge?

Someone in the Pittsburgh area should see if Pugh Brothers is still around and if so what kinds of records they may have.

HIDDEN INSIDE THE UNUSUALLY BEAUTIFUL PUGH BROTHERS 16-SIZE CASE...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Pugh Brothers Jewelers, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Cases...

IT REALLY CANNOT COMPARE TO THE INSIDE BUT THE OUTSIDE IS STILL GREAT...

posted
Now THAT'S a good un!!

Thanks for posting it, will look at case screw marks in my example for a determination..

Wait till U C the plain jane.... there is a curve there...

posted
To continue on with this thread.... the case I show above has Hamilton case screw marks in it..I have a junk 974 movement that matches to the T..

I am almost ashamed to show these plain janes below after the wonderful example Lindell posted... they just don't get better!

Note those cases were made by Wadsworth and they share what appears to be the same crown as on the case used on the model 10 Sangamo Special. I have seen a variant on that crown though.. but I digress.....

Here is an image of another Pugh Bros. case I have, note the markings... also, this case is worn, it.... had ..... an engine turned back

posted
Here is a second example I have...

posted
now the back of the second example is not worn as bad, but not good either...

posted
Ok, got pics out of the way......

First example has a 19j ball, second a 17j ball.

Both are recased movements, I am sure.. cuz I think I did it a few years ago.... Frown

Now what is the big question????

Who Put the BALL MODEL in these cases? If Pugh could engrave the ring, they certainly could have made the other mark.....

Welcome for O pin yoz.......

<Ball992B>
posted
Pugh Bros. Jewelry had a railroad watch inspection dept. I have also seen loaner cases marked Pugh Bros.

The Elgin that Lindell has is in fact original to the case.
A month or two ago I sold a 998E with the same train engraving on the outside. It was purchsed in 1940 from Pugh Bros. by a Pa. RR conductor. However, the inside of the back cover did not have the engravings.

There was an original reciept with the 998E in very ratty condition but the serial number and the stationary were still visible.

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Remarkably there are no service marks in the case and there is little if any wear. Here is the detail of crown and bow that Terry mentioned...

<Ball992B>
posted
Did Philly engrave the case for Pugh?
Did Wadsworth detail them for Pugh also?

The 998E was a Keystone J. Boss 10K There were no Pugh Bros engravings. I am near certain I recently saw a Pugh Brothers, Pittsburgh & Zaynesville Ohio advertizement. Was it in a Bulletin.... Confused

Lindell, hows about sellin'that one back.
I had forgotten how nice it was! Mad

posted
quote:
Did Philly engrave the case for Pugh?
Did Wadsworth detail them for Pugh also?

I have no documentation, but an opinion...
The Logo for Wadsworth and for Philly and the serial numbers seem to be stamped, not engraved... the Ball markings 'appear' to be also stamped...

I think the ring with Pugh Bros and the inside case engraving were done by Pugh on purchased cases... but no proof..