• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

E.N. Welch Ripple Onion top clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Not very many clocks get posted so I thought I would give it a try. This Onion Top Ripple Front was made probably sometime after 1855 after Welch took over JC Brown's operation. The clock has the EN Welch "blue" label and a 8 day time/strike EN Welch marked movement. The lower tablet is approx. 95% and an image of the "President's House".

E N Welch Ripple Onion top clock.jpg

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Derek,
You sure know how to hit my clock buttons!! What a great clock. It has been on my wish list for many years. The closest I have come to it is the round gothic version. I am going to be out of town for a week, and will take a picture of it to post when I get back.

Absolutely fabulous clock!!!! Thanks for posting it. I had to throw the plastic cover over the keyboard as a drool control measure.

P.S. I resized your picture to 650 pixel width for easy viewing without scrolling.

Tom

posted
Thanks Tom, I'm glad you like the clock. I bought my wife a new digital camera and it's got so many options, I have a hard time trying to figure it out. I'll try and shrink the images down a little so they can better fit the website.

Over the few years I've been collecting clocks, for some reason, I've bought a few unusual clock. Most are average run of the mill types of clocks but either they have terrific tablets or just a nice example of a common clock. I don't want to bore people looking at clocks but I may try and post a few periodically and hope other people will do the same. I never get tired of looking at clocks or watches for that matter.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Derek - beautiful clock! Don't worry about boring us. Even us watch collectors can appreciate a nice clock.

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I too enjoy looking at the photos. I wish more people would post photos. I especially like before and after.
Great clock!
greg

posted
Derek, great clock.Very unusual as i have never seen one like that before.Great photo.
I like to see pictures of people,s clocks too.And i like pocket watches also.
Please post more clocks when you have time. Smile

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hello Derek,
Do not know much on clocks but woodworking in the case is very elegant and in very good shape. Also the tablet is very nice.
And as the previous members I said: keep boring us please...

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hi Derek,
Nice clock! Here is one by J C Brown I found last year:
J C Brown Ripple

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

posted
Actually Andy, I was looking at your JC Brown and thats what perked my interest in posting a few of my clocks. Also, I am in the process of restoring a JC Brown picture frame wall clock that I believe may have the same movement as your JC Brown ripple. It is presently disasembled, but I can get you some up close photos that may help in identifing the correct movement for your clock.

I have photographed a couple more clocks and will be posting them over the next couple of days. I am trying to do a little research on the clocks to go with the picture posting.

posted
Derek,
that's a really great looking clock, thanks for sharing it with us. Big Grin Is the reverse painting original ?

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Thanks Dave, I believe the lower tablet is original. It has a very small amount of flaking and the wood strips that hold it in place do not appear to have been disturbed.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is an E.N. Welch round gothic (beehive) with ripple front and a glass in a style similar to Derek's. It also has the blue label.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is a nice J.C. Brown ripple front. The dial is in failing condition. The movement is Noah Pomeroy manufacture with visible balance wheel.

Tom

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hello Tom,

Your Welch is also very nice, this guy made good clocks!.
And about the J.C. Brown above, how about refinishing the dial?, what would be your opinion-recomendation?

Regards

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Carlos,

That is always the question. When do you re-do a dial. Right now, the dial is readable and original. As long as I can read it, I would prefer to keep it original. When the dial is no longer functional, I would then get it repainted.

I know others would have it redone much sooner than I would, and I can't say they are wrong. It is just my preference.

Tom

posted
Tom, those are two great looking clocks. It amazes me how they made that molding. Your beehive is near perfect.

Derek

posted
Here is one you don't see very often, a Forestville Mfg (J.C Brown) double Fusee ripple door steeple clock.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Derek,

That is a great example of a ripple front, and a unique movement. Is there any chance we can get a look under the hood?

Tom

posted
Tom,

Here is a picture of the Fusee Movement and Label.

Derek