Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dirty Clock Fetches £900,000 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
This interesting story and picture were sent over from England by our own Ged Pitchford...

A dirty old clock left in the corner of a country house library for decades became the most expensive timepiece ever sold in Europe when it recently fetched £901,600.00 at Sotheby's in London.

A Sotheby's representative carrying out a routine insurance valuation at the house in Germany thought the table clock looked interesting so he sent a photograph to the auction house.

When it arrived on the desk of Michael Turner, director of the clock department at Sotheby's in Olympia, west London, he could scarcely believe his eyes. He realized that the clock, overlaid in translucent red turtleshell and surmounted by an ormolu figure of Apollo, was a rare work by Thomas Tompion, England's greatest clockmaker. Until then only three such pieces were thought to have been made.

The aristocratic owners of the clock, which was made in London about 1705, had no idea of its rarity and value. It was covered in grime and had not worked for years.

As a result of the Southeby's Auction an English collector who specializes in Tompion clcoks paid a record price and the old country house will now have a new roof.

An Exceptionally rare clock built by Thomas Tompion set a record in England...

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Thanks for doing the honours Lindell, great job. NO,It wasn't me who bought It. GED Wink Wink

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Thanks Ged,

My house is filled with all kinds of dusty old things including me. Southeby's can come over and make a "find" any old time they like!

Seriously my friend, this really is amazing, thanks for sharing the news.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...a very serious piece...and for someone w/'means' a very serious collectible and maybe 'chump change' to acquire...a Tompion!...magnificent!!!hopefully it'll be placed in a museum or viewable private collection...thanks GED...Jim C