• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gustav Becker two weight "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
The latest Gustav Becker—I purchased this clock from a European seller about two years ago. When it arrived, I found the case was riddled with worm holes. About 2 months ago, I sent the case to a furniture repairman who replaced the bad wood and refinished the case. Yesterday it came home, I installed the original old glass and the movement and today I have the GB. The furniture repairman did a beautiful job. Even though it is not original, it is a working clock. The case measures near 4 foot, 3 inches.

posted
Top detail of the clock. The guy even reproduced and replaced a couple of the round rosettes and the rectangular one above the woman's bust.

posted
When I got the clock, it still had the gut on one train and cotton thread on the other. I rebuilt the movement and strung it with fishing line (.020"diameter, 80lb. test, kevlar based. There are no hairlines in the porcelain dial, the movement has the original hands and hardware.
Bottom detail

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice job on the clock, dick. Sometimes there is nothing left to do but replace wood that is no longer serviceable.

You did a great job with this one. You have to love those 2 weights!! Beautiful clock.

Tom

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Hi Dick,

A wonderful clock. Very, very nice.

You have also hit on something else that interests me. I own a furniture restoration business and have finished a couple of clock cases similar to this one.

If you don't mind me being nosey, I am very curious as to what you paid to have the case restored? I would like to know how my pricing compares. There can be a lot of work in these things if there are problem areas. Thanks!

posted
Very nice Dick.Great job on the clock and my highest regard to the person who repaired the case, it still looks old and the way it probaly used to look before.
Nice clock, and a nice one to hope to get for my collection.
Thanks for sharing this. Smile Smile