posted
g

IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
h

posted
Fred,

What a very interesting chronometer you have here. Would you please give us the dimensions for this timepiece?

Also, is the name Seikosha connected to the Seiko line of modern watches?

Thanks,

IHC Life Member

posted
Hi Phil,
These clocks were indeed the forerunners to the later Seiko's. This clock is from my fathers military collection. The clock is approximately 12" in diameter and about 5 " thick and very heavy.
I will take exact measurements and post them. He also has a 5 day Seikosha. As time permits I'll try to take some pictures of it and post them.
Regards
Fred

posted
Thanks Fred, for the interesting timepiece.Since it has a platform escapement, or i believe that is what it is.Would this have been used on a navy vessel? Good pictures, looks quite heavy.
Smile

IHC Life Member

posted
Kevin,
Even though these used a platform escapement ( as you pointed out ) instead of a detent escapement like the Hamilton chronometers the best guess is yes. Note the first inscription on the lower edge of the case ( an anchor ) It would be nice if one of our members could read Japanese and could decipher the rest of the inscription.
Fred

posted
Hello Fred,

The Japanese script that appeared on the clock is in kanji script which was derived from the Chinese script.
I can't read the first word very clearly, it appears the first two words may refer to ' marine vessel' and the rest of the words mean 'number eleven'.
You can find some information on the Japanese marine chronometer in the August 2002 issue ( #339) of the NAWCC Bulletin.

Mun C.W.
Singapore