Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Columbus 16 size TuTone "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
These are some scans of a 16 size TuTone hunter that the owner, Jim Bates was kind enough to let me post on the board. The watch belonged to his grandfather, Edmund Charles Bates, who was a jeweler in Alliance, Ohio. He had the dial made as a private label, with his name and city on it.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

posted
Cool watch.

I took the liberty of resizing the image to make it moer easily viewed.

Any chance of getting a movement shot?

Aaron

posted
Mike,

I fixed it. I dont know how but I did. Confused

The engine room still loopes me every now and then. Confused

Aaron

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I'll post the rest of the scans as soon as I figure out how to make them a reasonable size. Spent 90 min on it tonight without success.
Ain't technology grand! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Beautiful watch!! Priceless family heirloom!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
ED you can email me the pic if you like, then I'll post it. Wink

Mike Nardick
NAWCC # 144409
IHC 185 Charter Member 26
Allegheny Chapter 37
mikena32@comcast.net

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Ed,

Very nice, I too look forward to the movement side, that's why I put on my shades. Down-sizing the pictures can be a pain. Feel free to post and one of us will handle that detail for you. We do that regularly. Don't ever let that ever keep you from putting up your beautiful pictures!

Lindell

Wink

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I've taken advantage of both Mike's and Lindell's kind offer to "downsize" additional scans for posting here. After we move and things settle down to normal (whatever that is Roll Eyes) I'll get some instruction on how to do it right.
For those interested in the case, it is a Dueber solid 14 Kt yellow gold hunter, with fine engine turning on both covers. There are the remains of three photo transfers on the inside cuvette, all of Mr. E. C. Bates family members, which is appropriate, since Jim Bates worked for many years for a company that made photographic film and paper, including the liquid emulsion that was sold to make the images that we see today on dials and cases.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Here is a scan of the case back.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
This scan shows the Dueber markings on the inside of the cae back.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Close-up scn of the micrometer regulator. This looks quite unusual to me. I'd love to hear comments from the Columbus experts on when this regulator was used and how many were made.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Movement scan.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

posted
Ed,
I got you photos sized down okay I think.

Sure is a nice watch. Thanks for showing it.

Aaron

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Aaron, Lindell and Mike,
Thank you all for your help in getting these scans 'cut down to size'. Your assistance is really appreciated. Smile
The movement serial number is 90064.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

IHC Life Member
posted
Ed, in the February 2003 Bulletin, it shows this watch as being a No. 46 Htg., Nickel, 15 jewel, Breg. hairspring movement. Or, at the very least, your watch appears to be based on this movement.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Larry,
Until I tear it down for cleaning, I cannot tell if it is a 16 or a 17 jewel movement, but it is certainly jeweled in the top center position. It does have the same micrometer regulator though, and the cut's serial number is close. The watch almost looks to be a combination of the Grade 48 (16 jewels) and the Grade 46 (regulator style). I cannot tell from the illustration cut if the Grade 48 is TuTone, and the description doesn't say.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement