WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 3992B "Navigation Master" with Nato dial. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
I received this beauty from my father. As far as I know they were used during WW 2 by the British admiralty while launching torpedo's. They were made between 1942 and 45. There were not so many made but I don´t know how many. I have not managed to sort out (even tho I´m a naval officer) what the 1-10 dial is used for, does anyone know?
If anybody have more to add, please do. I would be very happy. Smile

Bernhard "the swede"

Hamilton 22j Navigation Master 3992B

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
The outer chapter goes with the long sweep second hand, so the 1 to 10 is for decimal minutes, so that time can be recorded as XX.XX minutes, rather than XX minutes and YY seconds.
It seems to me that this would make some types of navigational calculations much easier.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
...it has to be like that. According to the picture it should be 55.09 minutes. The dial is Mint as well as the movement. The back of the case shows some wear in the center tho. I really like this one. My father bought it a few years ago at the city auction in Stockholm. Just wonder what it has went through.
Great thanks for your added information. Wink

Bernhard "the swede"

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
The Hamilton records show 2,494 of these made for the British Navy. This is a very worthwhile watch that appeals to wartime collectors in general as well as to Hamilton collectors.

A very desirable, top condition item

Wink