Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Thick and Thin "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
These are just about the extremes for men's watches in my collection. The thin one is an Elgin Hulburd model, one of the thinnest American watches made. It is just about the same size as the beveled crystal on the 1892 model Waltham Crescent St. (I do have a larger, 4oz silver case, but it is empty at the moment).

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Jerry,
What a neat idea to display the contrasts. I love the Elgin. The dial and case are beautiful, and the hands are so odd. Cool Would you show the movement? Confused

Thanks!

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Below is the movement from my Hulburd. You can compare it with the one Larry showed us in this thread - https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=5656047761&m=4646073392
Mine is an earlier example, from the first 900 made, and the movement has a couple of notable differences. On these first movements, the C.H. Hulburd name is only in the case, not the movement. Also, these have a slightly more complex regulator arrangement. Less noticeable is the presence of an Invar balance on the earliest production. The visible difference is that the cut in the rim of the balance wheel is further out from the balance arms.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
While I am at it, here is the movement from the bigger one -

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Jerry T,

Ooooooo, but that case and face on your Hulburd! SO BEAUTIFUL!! Cool Roll Eyes

And oh, thanks for the up on Hulburds as I've not seen or heard of these watches until now. I'm learning everyday thanks to you guys!! Eek

P. S. Thanks for posting the movement on both watches. The regulator on the Waltham is beautiful, especially that one piece that looks like gold. Cool

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Jerry,
Thanks for the view of the Hulburd. Those are truly the most beautiful Elgins ever made.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America