Internet Horology Club 185
Silver dials

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5656047761/m/124100362

May 16, 2004, 19:26
Stephen L. Russell
Silver dials
A few of us were discussing silver dials some days ago on the CAT,and thought it
would be enjoyable to post some pictures of our silver dials.

On European watches it is pretty easy to find examples of Silver champleve dials going back to the 1680's or earlier
(but try buying one Eek Big Grin )

These silver dials seem very rare on American pocket watches,so if anyone has a example,I would love to see it.

This first picture is a good example of a typical 1830-1890 silver dial,the case on this one is hallmarked for Chester 1826/91?,a couple of neat things about this one is the case and movement serial numbers match,and the case is Engine turned,which is pretty rare pre 1830.If it is 1891 then the case is typical.

This is a great running watch good for daily use!

profile for raised roman numerals

May 16, 2004, 19:28
Stephen L. Russell
hallmarks here on the outer case.

The Lion passant..From 1549 until 1821 it is guardant and no longer crowned. After 1821 the lion is no longer guardant.

Now I thought Passant was not looking at you,and gaurdant was looking at you,can someone clear this up for me?On the inner case were there is very little wear,this lion is looking at me.

May 16, 2004, 19:31
Stephen L. Russell
This is a picture of the dial on my "new" Dent fusee.it is circa 1841-49 based on the makers street address.

I do not know if the dial is original,but I hope so.It needs work,but will be a understated beauty when cleaned up.(I hope) Wink

dent

May 16, 2004, 22:59
Phil Dellinger
My contribution to the silver dial topic.

May 17, 2004, 01:54
Jerry Treiman
I have seen these fancy silver dials on some Waltham watches sold in England. I do not know if the Waltham agent put these on or if they were switched later by some watchmaker. Here is one with a gold dial currently on eBay -
gold dial.

On later American watches, silver dials become more common on 12-size watches. This is my favorite, from an Illinois --

May 18, 2004, 16:49
Dave Freeman
Here's a nice old sculptured, solid silver dial marked Girad of Geneve. It's currently installed in a silver KW,KS OF Pocket Watch marked Kibble 22 Gracechurch St. & 51 Ludgate Hill in London. I'd estimate it to be C. 1850'2.

NOTE:- I Plan to auction this watch on the IHC website in the coming weeks. Big Grin Eek Wink

Dave

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321
July 31, 2004, 22:23
Jessica Lane
Stephen,

In a book of heraldry that I picked up recently, the discussion notes that in heraldry, at least, the lion and the leopard are designations for the lion looking away and looking at the viewer.

"In antiquity, the lion always has a very thick mane and always shown in profile. The leopard, having a smaller mane is always shown looking at the observer.

Therefore, the lion walking with one forepaw raised and looking at the observer is called "lion passant guardant--leopard."

A lion walking and looking to the front is lion passant--lion leoparde (accent egoute).

A lion with both forepaws raised and looking at the observer: lion rampant guardant--leopard lionne (accent egoute).

The leopard is always looking at the observer--lion guardant."

(The second term is from the old French; the first are current English heraldic terms (as of 1979, which the book was published).

These are designations are used for shields, flags, etc to designate the monarch or different levels of nobles or countries. But there must be some connection with trademarking because the terminology and many of the images are similar. I don't know if trademarks use the "leopard" for a lion guardant. However, my book of heraldry has 47 different positions for lions, ending with the chimera.

Jessica