Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gauge Paint "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Brian C.
posted
I have a metal crystal gauge that the black paint has worn off the graduation marks. Any ideas as to how I can restore the paint?
Thanks,
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
When I used to restore vintage tractors I would paint the vintage tag with a black lacquer paint. After the paint dried I would lightly sand off the paint until the numbers and letters were uncovered leaving the paint on the back ground.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Thanks Larry, but this metal gauge is like a ruller with the graduations stamped on it. I wouldn't want to sand it at all.
I remember someone on the boards had a way they painted movement plates to refinish, when the paint was washed from the markings, stamped on the plate. I forgot what type of paint they used and what they used for removing the excess paint.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Brian,
What I use to fill in worn markings on watch plates is good old "poster paint". Just brush it on, wait a minute for it to dry and then rub the surface with a toothpick. The paint will flake off the surface and remain in the grooves. However I do not know how long the paint will remain on a object that is handled frequently, but it is easy and fast to redo when the paint wears off.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Brian
I remember the post that you are refering to,although I can't remember on what board I saw it posted. I think the paint that was used in that particular topic was gold paint. If my memory serves me correctly,it was purchased from an arts & crafts store. I can't recall if the colors red or black where also mentioned, or the brand of the paint,sorry.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Well, I tried the paint as suggested. The gauge does look a little better but I think the graduation marks were not deep enough.
Thanks All,
Brian C.