Internet Horology Club 185
TAKING THE PLUNGE!!!!

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5146029761/m/8416086734

September 27, 2003, 01:01
Ged Pitchford
TAKING THE PLUNGE!!!!
Hello From The Seaside,I'm a day or two away from buying a Digital Camera. A knowledgeable guy I know advises get one that takes AA batteries, he says if I buy one with maker specific battery, I,m going to need a spare and they can be very expensive , and they don't last that long,and need replacing. Any advice welcome.I have decided to go for the highest pixel count I can get on my limited budget, we usually pay in Pounds what you Colonials pay in Dollars ,and at 1.6 Dollars to the Pound that's a big difference. Thanks, GED. Confused
September 27, 2003, 01:32
John D. Duvall
ged,

If you are going to take pictures to post on the internet and will not be printing anything larger than an 8x10" picture, I would not go any higer than a 2 megapixel camera. I know most of the newer cameras are 4MB plus but you might want to save yourself some money and get one of the older models to start out with. If you are going to be taking pictures of watches, then you need a camera that has good macro capability too.

Please read the posts in our "How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks" section. This should give you a good idea of what to look for.

As for batteries, I just puchased my new camera and it came with the new lithium-ion battery. I purchased two additional spares on eBay for $26. I like the single battery with two spares concept much better than trying to keep up with an equivalent of 12 batteries.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education
October 16, 2003, 03:24
Ged Pitchford
I am looking for any info' on a SONY DSCP92 5MP. The best price is £279 = $446 How does that compare with you guys?. I nearly ordered it yesterday,but ebay wouldn,t let me in to the site to make the deal, they said password invalid, It's the same one i've always used with no trouble. Still persuing that one. By the way one store quoted £399-99= $640. Thanks ,GED. Smile Smile
October 17, 2003, 22:49
Sam Williamson
Ged,
try this site;

http://bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--402,keyword--sony%20dscp92.html

Go for it! I too,am looking,but just bought a '98 BMW Z-3 2.8,so may be a while! Frown

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185
October 18, 2003, 18:46
Ged Pitchford
Thanks SAM, my camera is on It's way, Ebays loss was my gain, I got it through Internet Explorer cheaper still £265 inc Carry case and delivery. Your site was a better price but I would have had to pay Customs Duty plus VAT plus shipping and insurance, VAT Is value added tax17 1/2% on all goods except Food ,Printed matter and children's clothes. There is a lower rate of 8% on Heating fuel. That's life. I hope to show you some pictures when i get organised. Can't afford a Beamer of any age, parts and Servicing are prohibitive also insurance is expensive for them. REGARDS GED.