Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ultrasonic Cleaning machine buying advice "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Lansen Conley
posted
I see Merritt's is selling L&R repaired new item ultrasonic machines at a sizable discount. I'm lookin for a machine to clean clocks. How are the L&R machines? Think buy one of these new repaired items makes sense? Other machines to consider? Large investment - want to make a wise decision. Thanks, Lansen

Lansen Conley

Posts: 4 | Location: United States Air Force | Registered: September 01, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Lansen,
Merrit's is a reputable company and L&R is a good company too. Personally, I would trust them to stand behind their work. They have a great relationship with the NAWCC and they are graduates of the clock course. I would recommend you make sure that the resevoir is big enough to accommodate the clock parts you will be working with. If you get a model with heat, it will work better, but isn't absolutely necessary.

I see your address is USAF. I was stationed at VAFB. Where are you at?

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Lansen Conley
posted
Scott,
Thanks for your insights on L&R machines and advice on getting one with heat. Understand your point, too, about getting a machine large enough to accomodate the clock parts.

I am deployed overseas at the moment. I was involved in several Navstar GPS satellite launches from VAFB when I first came on active duty back in the early '80s (I'm sure you couldn't tell I am that old from my typing, right!!) The very first launch I was involved with crashed about 3 seconds after liftoff when one of the main booster engines shutdown due to fuel starvation caused by a boost pump problem!
Thank the Lord, the next three launches all made it on orbit okay. On board those early Navstar satellites were cesium atom clocks which if I recall correctly were accurate to one second in 100,000 years or so!
Thanks,
Lansen

Lansen Conley

Posts: 4 | Location: United States Air Force | Registered: September 01, 2007
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Lansen,

I was there in the late 80s and early 90s. I supported a lot of missile missions. I came home and two windows in my house were cracked after a launch.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003