Internet Horology Club 185
Jeweling set question

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5146029761/m/8061069392

December 09, 2007, 12:07
Joe Martin
Jeweling set question
I'm looking to purchase a jeweling set, but I was curious- can any jeweling set be used as a staking set simply by removing the top handle? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm quite new to this.

Regards,
Joe Martin
December 09, 2007, 17:16
Clive Driscoll
Hi Joe
In my experience the handle of a jewelling set is removed so that the reamers can be used to ream the hole to the correct size. The handle is replaced to correctly push in the jewel. The handle acts upon a stop and end shake and depth of the jewel can be adjusted.

Although similar in use to the staking tool the tools really are for different purposes.

Donald de Carles book Practical Watch Repairing has a chapter on Friction Jewelling.

Hope this helps.
December 09, 2007, 18:27
John Woolsey
Joe,

I've just taken a look at my Seitz kit, and to be honest, with the casting on the base of the tool being hollow and thin, it isn't man enough to be used as a staking anvil.
I'd guess most are like this as they're not built to accept sharp shock loads - more of a gentle push.

You may get away with it depending upon what you intend staking, but I'd be wary of the base cracking, or more probably 'bouncing' whatever it is you're staking due to lack of weight in the base.

If you shop around, you'll pick up a good staking set for little money, and to be honest, it will see much more use than a jewelling kit and is a far better investment if just starting out.

Just my own thoughts!

Best regards

John
December 09, 2007, 23:13
Scott Cerullo
Joe,
There are staking sets that have the the ability to do jeweling, but I don't think that the jeweling set should be used with punches. You are far better off getting both tools.

www.pawatchmaker.com
December 11, 2007, 21:48
Joe Martin
Thanks all, that's just the info I was looking for.

Regards,
Joe Martin