Internet Horology Club 185
How do you organise/store your tools?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5146029761/m/7673922187

January 13, 2014, 00:24
Geoff Osborne
How do you organise/store your tools?
Hi Everyone,
I am currently in the process of going though tidying up my bench / workspace and was wondering how do others organise their tools?

I only work on pocket watches as a hobby and already I have collected so many tools I am trying to work out how best to store / organise them. Currently I have a small setup inside a wooden computer desk that I can close the front with some drawes down the side (I'll attach some photos tonight after I have tidied somewhat. Within one drawer I have a couple of stacking stationary trays to store smaller tools such as tweezers, screw drivers, files etc.

So my question is, How do you organise/store your tools (ranging from small screw drivers to larger jacot tools)?
Cheers
Geoff
January 13, 2014, 00:40
Bob Murray
Hello Geoff!
A dentist's portable chest is ideal, but a small machinist's chest is a very close second (in my very humble opinion!)

Regards,
Bob
February 02, 2014, 17:08
Patrick Wallin
Geoff. I keep the tools I use frequently on the table top and the others in drawers on both sides of the table top.

February 02, 2014, 17:08
Patrick Wallin

February 02, 2014, 17:10
Patrick Wallin
3.Using pipe wrap insulating foam to stick your tools in works great. For 2 years I have been using the same piece with no problems. See picture 2 on the right side and you will see the tweezers in probes I use the most. The lid on my staking set is removable by sliding it sideways which gives me lots more room on the bench. A breakfast in bed tray from the good will for $3.00 is my movable bench top and a Teflon cutting board serves below. You will grow as you go. Hope you can at least get sme ideas from the photos....

April 23, 2015, 10:47
Mike Benda
This is from_arbor _reight for $79. About 1/10 of the cost of a Gershner chest.
Really like the breakfast tray idea.

April 23, 2015, 11:05
Peter Kaszubski
hmmm starrett oil some one is was machinist
by knowing Gershner chest and having starrett oil
I have top and bottom Gershner made in 1941.
April 24, 2015, 15:48
Mike Benda
Nice detective work Peter. You are close. I have worked with machinists on large equipment, movable span railway and highway bridges. This new to me watch and clock work is on a much smaller scale.
Gershner makes fine tool chest, but the Chinese knockoff will do on a budget.
The 'better half' has a real Gershner I gave as a gift 15 years ago and she would not give it back.