Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

jeweling tools "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I have a set of tools that I think may be used for opening/ closing jewel settings. Sorry I can't provide pics. Kind of resemble screwdrivers, but have jaws that can be spread or closed via a thumb screw. Any help is appreciated. Gary.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
I know exactly what you are referring to. I have a few sets and I can provide some pics. These are not the preferred tool for opening and closing jewel holes or settings but rather a handy quick and easy tool. They aren't particularly easy to use but, in the right circumstance, they can do a respectable job. "Rubbing" in jewels is more professionally done on a lathe for best results.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Thank You Cort, After my posting, I noticed the tool identification section and found a set of these tools. When referring to "rubbing", may I assume you mean opening/closing jewel settings? Gary.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Correct. "Rubbing", accurately describes the smearing and smooshing of a burr around a jewel to trap it into a fixed position.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004